Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2005 2:59:43 PM EDT
does any one make a good 40 round mag for the ars?
thanks
stuck
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#1]
i was told most are crap
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have but one purchased several years ago.  It feeds okay but I don't like the added length if nothing else.  Your best bet is to stick with proven USGI 30 shot mags.  Just my .02 cents worth.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]
They suck, otherwise they'd be more popular.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Sterling 40 rd mags made in England work very well. They are made in aluminum and steel versions.  
They are not common here, and are expensive. The average price seems to be about $100.00 in v.g. or better cond. I've seen them as low as $75.00 but not often.

I have heard that no other brand of 40 rd is any good(see Biggerhammer) but I have no personal experience with any of them except the Sterlings.

I have 3 and they are all excellent, although I prefer 30 rd mags more.

HTH
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Sterling is it. I got lucky and found two new one's for $60.00 each.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems most of the 3 gun shooters horde the things like nothing else.

That's about the only place I have ever seen legit Sterling mags.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a few from bushmaster ,they were priced right  and are steel.so far they work flawless,I just dont like steel mags,so I wont be getting more.I only got these since I own a bush I figured these from the same company would work right
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Bushmaster does not make thier own magazines and the 40 rounders they sell are made by Triple K, which are garbage. If you happen to have one that works perfectly, good for you. Don't get it twisted, the 40 round mags sold by Bushmaster are no where near the quality of the D&H 30 rounders they sell with thier propiratary floor plate. The Sterling "combo" magazines work quite well, however are hard to find and expensive when the seller knows what he has. I bought a few "surplus" 40 round magazines from Cheaper than Dirt and they work well. They look just like extended SA80 steel bodied, parkerized magazines with green followers. They function very well and are quite durable. I believe these to be surplus magazines, however I am not sure who ordered thier use. I have a gun book which shows several soldiers from the 101st using 40 round magazines in their M16A1s.*This sounds like a typical newby post, however thier insignias and weapons were clearly identifiable as it was likely taken during a training mission on base* These mags are of much higher quality than some aftermarket crap. Again, they are nearly identical to the SA80 magazines, except longer. There is not a marking anywhere on the body/floor plate.
Anyone else have these magazines? I would be interested to know for sure exactly where they came from? They are good range magazines, but I cannot fathom using anything other than D&H magazines anymore...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a couple of the PMI  40 round magazines that work great
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bushmaster does not make thier own magazines and the 40 rounders they sell are made by Triple K, which are garbage. If you happen to have one that works perfectly, good for you. Don't get it twisted, the 40 round mags sold by Bushmaster are no where near the quality of the D&H 30 rounders they sell with thier propiratary floor plate. The Sterling "combo" magazines work quite well, however are hard to find and expensive when the seller knows what he has. I bought a few "surplus" 40 round magazines from Cheaper than Dirt and they work well. They look just like extended SA80 steel bodied, parkerized magazines with green followers. They function very well and are quite durable. I believe these to be surplus magazines, however I am not sure who ordered thier use. I have a gun book which shows several soldiers from the 101st using 40 round magazines in their M16A1s.*This sounds like a typical newby post, however thier insignias and weapons were clearly identifiable as it was likely taken during a training mission on base* These mags are of much higher quality than some aftermarket crap. Again, they are nearly identical to the SA80 magazines, except longer. There is not a marking anywhere on the body/floor plate.
Anyone else have these magazines? I would be interested to know for sure exactly where they came from? They are good range magazines, but I cannot fathom using anything other than D&H magazines anymore...

You got a link to to the Cheaper Than Dirt mags. I know they have some in the front of their catalogs, but I'd like to know which one's you're talking about.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
www.cheaperthandirt.com
I am not sure if they still offer these magazines or not as I got them a while ago. I believe they called them "mil spec" surplus 40 round magazines. That term gets thrown around so much its useless, but I think thats how they were listed in the magazines. They have parkerized steel bodies and green followers. I belive they were something like 19.99 a piece? This was during the ban, so its not as outrageous as it seems. I will see if I can dig mine up and maybe take a snap of them for everyone to see. They look just like the L85/SA80 STANAG magazines. They do not have the holes for the AR180, just the notch for the AR15/M16. Check the website, maybe they are still on there. I was aware of experimental magazines before the 30 as we know it was "standardized" and "perfected" but I think these magazines were probably 80's manufacture at the earliest, likely by a Nato member country. The quality greatly surpasses your garden variety 40 round aftermarket garbage magazine. They work quite well, but fit very tight...which can be expected from a magazine designed to fit several different guns.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the link.

All I found on the site was the $13 ones I've seen before.

WIZZO
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top