BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 8:42:32 AM EDT
story about 3 ranger? scouts snipers that killed 16X? iraqi

something about using scoped 20" marksmen rifles and 77gr ammo

looking for link to magazine article anyone help please   guns and ammo mag?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/mk262_080105/

my bad, found it
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
story about 3 ranger? scouts snipers that killed 16X? iraqi

something about using scoped 20" marksmen rifles and 77gr ammo

looking for link to magazine article anyone help please   guns and ammo mag?

[/quote                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
I  have a    heard a  similar story  about two SF operators killing 75 plus taliban in A-stan
but not this one. It was in shotgun news a few months back
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I am getting ready for a dupe.  For those of those if this is the first time enjoy.
U.S. Army sniper nails record shot

London Sunday Telegraph/The Washington Times
January 16, 2006
by Toby Harnden

(EXCERPT)
RAMADI, Iraq -- Gazing through the telescopic sight of his M-24 rifle, Army Staff Sgt. Jim Gilliland, leader of Shadow sniper team, fixed his eye on the Iraqi insurgent who had just killed an American soldier.

His quarry stood nonchalantly in the fourth-floor bay window of a hospital in battle-torn Ramadi, still clasping a long-barreled Kalashnikov. Instinctively allowing for wind speed and bullet drop, Shadow's commander aimed 12 feet high.

A single shot hit the Iraqi in the chest and killed him instantly. It had been fired from a range of more than three-quarters of a mile, well beyond the capacity of the powerful Leupold sight, accurate to 3,300 feet.

"I believe it is the longest confirmed kill in Iraq with a 7.62mm rifle," said Sgt. Gilliland, 28, who hunted squirrels in Double Springs, Ala., from the age of 5 before progressing to deer -- and then to insurgents and terrorists.

"He was visible only from the waist up. It was a one-in-a-million shot. I could probably shoot a whole box of ammunition and never hit him again."

Later that day, Sgt. Gilliland found out that the American soldier who had been killed by the Iraqi was Staff Sgt. Jason Benford, 30, a good friend.

The insurgent was one of between 55 and 65 Sgt. Gilliland estimates that he has shot dead in less than five months, putting him within striking distance of sniper legends such as Carlos Hathcock, a Marine who recorded 93 confirmed kills in Vietnam.

One of his men,Spc. Aaron Arnold, 22, of Medway, Ohio, has chalked up a similar tally.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#4]
HooRah!!!!

Just watched "Jarhead" last night. AT least the snipers are not frustrated by sitting around for  6 months doing nothing.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#6]

well done.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I actually purchased the magazine.  A five man SF team was out looking for SCUDs early in the invasion.  They ran into a reinforced company of Iraqi infantry.  Three of the five were armed with AR sniper rifles.  They were desinated to provide cover for the retreat.  What happened instead were several charges by the Iraqi's and the three men just seem to have held their ground and mowed them down over several hours until the few remaining Iraqi's broke and fled.   They were using the Mk 262 Mod 1  round.

Final score was 168 to 0.  The atricle showed two things.  That round really works and the Iraqi's had really poor training.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#8]
in the magizine "book of the ar-15"

there is an article about the mk262 ammo where they tell this story also
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Mk262 is what I used while I was in Iraq, I love that stuff, altho I dont have the kills these guys do I do know that BH Mk262 ammo is great.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Forgive me Lord, but "I fucking love to hear of  this stuff!!"

I would be happy if it were x 1,000
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I actually purchased the magazine.  A five man SF team was out looking for SCUDs early in the invasion.  They ran into a reinforced company of Iraqi infantry.  Three of the five were armed with AR sniper rifles.  They were desinated to provide cover for the retreat.  What happened instead were several charges by the Iraqi's and the three men just seem to have held their ground and mowed them down over several hours until the few remaining Iraqi's broke and fled.   They were using the Mk 262 Mod 1  round.

Final score was 168 to 0.  The atricle showed two things.  That round really works and the Iraqi's had really poor training.  

I read something similar in SOF.  Maybe I need to go find it.  But I remember it being afghanistan.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read something similar in SOF.  Maybe I need to go find it.  But I remember it being afghanistan.

It's in there.  I have the SOF it's in...

TS
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#13]
It is in Guns and Ammo Book of the AR.  It's starts on page 115.  Final score 167 to 0.  Here is a quote form it:  "Screaming and rattling away with their Kalashnikov"s on full auto, they were knocked from their feet by carefully aimed shots.  When staggering losses finally broke their spirit, the surviving Iraqis either threw down their weapons or simply ran away"
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It is in Guns and Ammo Book of the AR.  It's starts on page 115.  Final score 167 to 0.  Here is a quote form it:  "Screaming and rattling away with their Kalashnikov"s on full auto, they were knocked from their feet by carefully aimed shots.  When staggering losses finally broke their spirit, the surviving Iraqis either threw down their weapons or simply ran away"

I'm all for MK262 but "knocked from their feet"?  Whoever wrote that is starting to make it sound like a Gun Show fable...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top