Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 3:33:03 PM EDT
Is 35/39 foot pounds for the rifle buffer tube to tight or just right? It is the MIL-SPEC but it just sounds to tight to me.

I just don't see why it has to be so tight when carbine stocks only have to be torqued on at around 40 inch pounds which is a little less than 3 and a half foot pounds.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#2]
could be a miss print, dont not know. I just go tight with grease on the threads, I stop before the lower flexes using a magazine as a lower holder in the vice.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#3]
BTT.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#4]
It's mil-spec, so it's good enough for me.

BTW, my armorer's manual lists the torque spec for rifle stocks at 35/39 foot pounds and carbine stocks at 38/42 foot pounds.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just don't see why it has to be so tight when carbine stocks only have to be torqued on at around 40 inch pounds which is a little less than 3 and a half foot pounds.

Because the Carbine's stock nut will be staked in place to make sure it doesn't loosen.  Since you can't do that with the rifle's receiver extension it has to be torqued to a much higher value.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help guys! So are you saying I should torque to spec with some Moly grease and be done with it?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help guys! So are you saying I should torque to spec with some Moly grease and be done with it?

Yes.  Unless you think you know this rifle better than the world's largest and longest user of the M16 - the US Army.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top