Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/15/2006 3:07:22 PM EDT
I got a good deal on a used 30mm LT SPR from a local arfcomer, and figured that I would give it a try on the carbine with a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36/1" that I had laying around, and some ARMS #37's of course.

When I mounted up the scope, the friction barely came in with the last turn of the upper ring screws, and there was zero gap at the top of the rings. I suspected that they might be too loose to stand recoil, even with a 5.56. A quick trip to the range confirmed this suspicion. 80-100 shots caused the spacers to slip in the rings about 1/8"; another box or two would have put the turrets against the rings [the scope is way forward as I like to shoot the carbine with the Ace SOCOM completely collapsed].

I guess that the LT is machined for minimal gap, and the tolerance stack-up got the better of me, but in any case, this setup did not work. YMMV

Needless to say, I am in the market for a pair of 1" LT SPR rings, so that I can get the setup right. The 30mm rings and ARMS spacers will be good spares to have in the toolbox for the future modifications, so I am not particularly dissappointed.

The scope did hold zero pretty well at 100 yds. after I got it on paper, even with a couple of dismounts/mounts.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:28:06 PM EDT
so you used a.r.m.s spacers in the larue mount
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:16:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
so you used a.r.m.s spacers in the larue mount

Yep, I did indeed use a top quality mount/rings with name brand optics and a reputable spacer manufacturer, and the tolerances didn't add up favorably.
Top Top