Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2004 3:22:51 PM EDT
So I took apart my mags so I could take some pics for you guys... WTF do I find? A rusted up spring to go with my rusted up HK follower in my SA80A2 mags. WTF is with the crappy finish on the $45 maritime mags? These are older mags, but jeez!

What an enhancement... A mag that costs over twice as much, and requires much more maintenance. If you're considering the HK mags, do yourself a favor and just buy USGI mags, Magpul followers/rangerplates, and some high quality springs. They'll treat you much better.

L-R: USGI Green follower (bottom), USGI Black follower (top), Magpul antitilt follower, HK antitilt chromed follower.

L-R: USGI Green follower, USGI Black follower, Magpul antitilt follower, HK antitilt chromed follower.

Rusted HK follower...

Rusted HK magazine spring...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll take 10!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting pics.

The corrosion on the HK follower is readily apparent, but the "rust" on the spring looks too red... It almost looks like a coating/paint. Perhaps to identifiy the treated maritime springs (I'm just guessing here)

I'm planning on eventually getting one HK mag just for evaluation and to add to the collection. But I keep hearing high marks for the MAGPUL USGI route... Which I'll have to try as well!

Sly
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It's rust. There are splotches here and there, and it flakes off fairly easily.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Cap'n.....Having never seen one of H&K's Ar mags in person, does it look like they've made any changes to the geometry of the mag body itself? The followers look almost the same as the Mag-puls.....I've got a couple of those, they're fantastic. The only other thing that might make the H&K's worth it is if they made some kind of change to the mag body.

THanks,

AoD
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:06:19 AM EDT
[#5]
The "red" on the spring is paint. Allows the assembler to know which way to orient the spring when thay put the two parts together. Yes, that is corrosion on the follower. No, it's not chrome-plated

If anyone's heard my tidbits on these mags, they know I'm not a huge fan. I'd spend my money elsewhere (but I prefer to avoid the "warm" NIW mags coming out of our GI's arms rooms, as available in the EE).

Hotgun
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If anyone's heard my tidbits on these mags, they know I'm not a huge fan.
Hotgun

Mr. Hotgun- While you're here- You posted about the Okay Industries High Reliability mags a while back but I can't find the post- Can you say how these differ from regular USGI?  Is it just tighter tolerances or are they different in construction?  Do they make a difference or are regular USGI the way to go?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:52:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Capn,

Perhaps Pritchard would be willing to sell you a new follower for that...for say....45 bucks?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top