Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2011 5:26:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/26/2011 5:27:23 PM EST by rickmelear]
This question has probably been asked many times before so feel free to direct me to a sticky or link. I just ordered a couple of stripped lowers from PSA and would like to build one of them into a scoped target rifle, max range would be 300 yards. Im thinking a 16 to 20 inch upper and need suggestions. I would also like suggestions on a lower assembly. I know the trigger is all important but would like to keep the total package minus stripped lower and glass below $700. Im thinking MOA at 300 yards is perfection for my skills and needs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 6:38:02 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 7:15:28 PM EST
Thank you sir, I didnt know White Oak was in my price range.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 6:45:51 AM EST
Sorry man for 700 out to 300 with glass its dang near impossible to build it for less than 700... Mabye 1000-1300 is possible. I would get the white oak target upper then you need your lower parts kit, buffer tube and stock. You could get Magpul PRS Stock - AR15/M16 $242.65 then a good lower parts kit not a 49.99 deal would be best for the trigger... Rock River Arms 2 Stage NM Trigger Parts Kit $180 http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=395. So 672 plus shipping and another 232.65+180 plus shipping. And you still need a buffer tube and spring which is easy to find for around 25-35 online. I added $65 for shipping for a ballpark figure and you are looking around $1184 so close to 1200. And you still have to get glass. Trying to buy each part as well and putting it together will cost you more then buying the upper put toghter. Of course you could use a differen't stock and save about 100 and a different upper and save maybe another 100. But whats going to be the biggest ticket for this type of build is the glass. I would recommend getting a few things at a time and putting it all together at once. Like the upper hten a few months later buy the lower parts kit and stock. Then the glass or however you want to build it. Any well built upper should be good to go out to 300 though it just won't be a sub MOA rifle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 7:44:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2011 7:45:35 AM EST by recon701]
I'm doing a similar build, but not on that tight of a budget. I ended up ordering a Geisselle SSA-E trigger and Magpul PRS stock. With your budget I would stick withan RRA 2 stage trigger LPK and just use a regular A2 stock or similar. You don't need a $200+ stock and a $200+ trigger. You could find the LPK, stock, and buffer for less than $200, then just look for a decent upper. Your budget will be hard to do. Possibly look for a used upper/glass.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 8:57:03 AM EST
Depends. Under 700 is doable. Check out the rainier arms select barrels. As for scopes primary arms has excellent scopes for the money. Look at their compact 3x and their 1-4x scope. You don't need all the expensive bells and whistles. Hell, you can hit small plates at 300 with a stock mil spec rifle and a cheap scope. That's my 2 cents and I know because I've done it. But do want and don't shoot your eye out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 3:30:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By rickmelear:
This question has probably been asked many times before so feel free to direct me to a sticky or link. I just ordered a couple of stripped lowers from PSA and would like to build one of them into a scoped target rifle, max range would be 300 yards. Im thinking a 16 to 20 inch upper and need suggestions. I would also like suggestions on a lower assembly. I know the trigger is all important but would like to keep the total package minus stripped lower and glass below $700. Im thinking MOA at 300 yards is perfection for my skills and needs.

I think that means the upper less glass.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:40:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 7:46:08 PM EST by ggibbs]
I dunno, my first build was a PSA lower and a Del-Ton 16" Dissipator flat top upper. Here are a couple of 100 yd groups with plain ol' factory PPU 55 gr on the right and a non-worked up handload on the left.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/AR%20and%20Mini%20Groups/P1010002.jpg

Both were fired with the aperture sights. I'm sure if I mounted a decent scope and worked up some handloads, it'd easily group MOA or less. Oh yeah, and the whole rig cost less than $550.

GG
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:13:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 6:14:18 PM EST by LampShadeActual]
Don't know about the quality of PSA stuff, but if you want a very accurate rig to complete your receiver, look at the long heavy barrel J&T Distributing/DoubleStar offerings. Inexpensive and very good quality. The upper comes fully assembled with a good parts kit. You need a minimum of 20" for any velocity left at 300 yards. They have a number of 20" or longer heavy SS 1:8 barrels. Skip the 1:9" ones because Sierra 69 grain HPBTMatch bullets do better with the 1:8".

As to cost, budget as much for a scope. Leupold Vari-X III or as they call them now VX3 is the starting place. Lesser scopes will leave you looking for a better one.

Look up at the top. J&T is one of the advertisers here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:49:31 PM EST
Come On people...!!!! what the hell...!!! why are people sOooo confused about the price vs quality... these rifles are Easy to shoot... and even easier to build... 300yds is not that far away...!!! if people spent more time working on there marksmanship and fundementals than show and tell they would realize that almost any damn AR on the market or barrel with some good match bullets and a real shooter behind it will definantly hit at 300yds... MOA.. meaning 3" groups at 300yds should be easily done if free float the barrel and accuwedge the reciever and put decent scope and ONCE AGAIN a good shooter behind the rifle..!!! you dont have to spend 1200 - 1500 to get a shooting rifle!!!!

and those that think they do will probably never shoot MOA at 300 no matter what rifle they hold..!!! yes... the better quality you buy than the better rifle you will own but... i think a Good rifle is one that is held by a good marksmen... building a rifle at $700.00 befor glass should be very easy to get a 300 yd MOA rifle... hell i remember there being a couple of places that would gauranty 1"moa out of there completed uppers and that priced under $500.00 so all you need is a lower a LPK and a stock...!!! and then get some practice..!!!! parctice and marksmanship is what is going to get you in a 3" group @ 300yds... not a big expensive fancy rifle that cost you you out the A$$..!!!

i see it all the time... i see guys comming out to the range with the most expensive rifle they could find and optics over $1000 and they cant hit a damn thing..!!!

and they still step off the line smilling and showing off there big Fancy New Toy

try J&S guns... i think they used to sell a complete parts kit that they guaranteed MOA and i belieave the kit used to only be about $500 - 550.00
but i dont know if they still do... but call them up and ask... even if they dont it shouldnt be too hard to get one built that will shoot..!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:57:13 PM EST
i not sure sure if accuwedge makes a rifle more accurate.. it just makes it rattle less.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:15:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By dogbutter99:
i not sure sure if accuwedge makes a rifle more accurate.. it just makes it rattle less.

it might not make the barrel more accurate but it sure does make the upper to lower fit tighter and that make the upper to lower not move as much or any at all and then that gives the marksman better consistancy on check weld and sight allignment there for gives the shooter a better consistancy in there marksmanship and that in my opinion makes it just a little better...

once again Marksmanship over the myth of letting the high priced rifle do the work..!!!

anything that will tighting the tolerances of the rifle in my opinion helps...

there are alot of factors that come into play to make a well placed shot...

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:19:24 AM EST
My opinion, but if you're looking for a pure 300 yard paper puncher and want bang-for-buck accuracy, I'd look at a Rock River Arms upper from Legal Transfers (Something like the Predator Pursuit or Varmint uppers with a Wylde chamber and heavy stainless barrel). You want a free-floated barrel if you can get it, and the Wylde chamber will allow you to fire whatever ammo you have with good accuracy. I don't know what the Varmint uppers are running these days, but when I bought my 20" HBAR a few years ago it was well under $600. For a stock, pick an A1 or A2 for now (depending on what fits you) and shoot that for a while. That should set you back under $70. For a Lower Parts Kit, get quality (Spike's, LMT, DD, Stag, RRA, etc). For now, I'd put the money into the upper. You don't need a fancy adjustable stock to shoot accurately, and whatever "budget" trigger you buy will eventually be replaced by a $150+ unit when you decide to upgrade. This should get you in right about $700 minus glass.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:10:24 AM EST
I grabbed a DPMS MK12 barrel from Midway..

Here thes TOTAL build cost I incurred.

Spikes Upper receiver $99
Troy Rail $147
Comp $35
CH $17
DPMS Barrel $186
Gas tube $12
YHM block $29
PSA lower receiver $57
PSA MOE LPK $59
A2 Stock $60
MagPul MBUS set $85
Spikes BCG $110
––––––––––––––––––––––
$797

I would say also check Ranier for maybe a 'select' grade barrel.. right around $200..
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:44:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 2:46:24 AM EST by ggibbs]
Come On people...!!!! what the hell...!!! why are people sOooo confused about the price vs quality... these rifles are Easy to shoot... and even easier to build... 300yds is not that far away...!!! if people spent more time working on there marksmanship and fundementals than show and tell.
..<snip>

Truer words were never spoken....

I've been fooling with rifles for almost all of my 48 years, but am new to AR's. The first thing I noticed is that people are more interested in telling you what brand parts they used to build their rifles and how kewl the flashlight is than how they shoot. I find it amusing that the range at which I compete in High Power has to most .223 and 7.62x30 brass at the 50 yd. benches than the 100. Marksmanship has almost become a thing of the past.

In this day and age with quality machinery being relatively inexpensive, quality barrels too are relatively inexpensive. As I illustrated in my last post, my rifle will very likely be an MOA rifle, and it cost UNDER $550!

GG
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:04:40 AM EST
accuwedges in my opinion are the best. tighten up the upper slop on your lower. the barrels in the upper so if its flopping around......
as for accuracy ill have to agree with everyone else 300 yards is attainable,. 1 moa at 300 yds is 3 inch groups try some heavy grain bullets maybe no more than 75 grain ballistic tip, FMJ. 1x8 inch twist always
maybe think about other options like bigger bullets like 308, 260 rem, 300 saum etc etc all available in an AR15 platform
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:49:33 AM EST
50 yards is a good place to start.... 100 would be minimum.. but sadly enough the range I used to shoot at only had a 100 yard range for rifles. What you weapon should do after sighting it in and does do at greater distances has to be seen and felt and experienced in my opinion. In pistols when I qualify for who I work for I shoot Expert and Distinguished Expert on a regular basis. That's what I expect my rifle shooting to be. So a descent setup with a lot of practice should get you where you want to be.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:22:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 9:26:24 AM EST by Espos1111]
Marksmanship, practice AND good ammo. These 3 things will get you there, assuming you are using quality parts, not expensive parts. Most companies turn out quality parts. With my brother in laws $600, cheap as he could build AR, I can shoot MOA. But give it to his buddy and he is all over the target. Same ammo, same gun, different levels of marksmanship.

Forgot to say. While better parts will do no good without good marksmanship, they can make a goods marksman better.
Top Top