Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/11/2013 9:13:02 AM EDT
Where do you get your barrel from?  I have 2 ar15s and want to convert 1 to a 300 blackout.  So im looking for a good barrel.  Is that all I have to do is switch the barrels?  At least thats what ive read.  I was told to get a 1:7 twist also.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the 300blktalk forums.  How much do you want to spend on a barrel?  Low-end (price wise) check out a SOTA barrel, lots of good reviews.  I have one from ar15hardware.com that I haven't tested out yet.  Then you can go up to the high end manu barrels such as the noveske.  Wilson Combat has a few in stock as well...
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#3]
$250 - $300 range
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok I found this one on guntrader CMMG 16" 300 Blackout AR 15 Barrel AR15 AAC BLK for $274 delivered.  Next question it says the barrel has the gas port positioned for use with pistol-length gas systems and works with subsonic and supersonic ammunition.  So the gas tube I currently have on my Ar15 wont work?
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is an in stock one
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XATIB300AAC&name=Mossberg+16%22+.300+BLACKOUT+AR+Barrel&groupid=573
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.surplusammo.com/barrels/

Local place just south of me, I ordered a bhw 18" 5.56 barrel from them a few weeks ago. It is a tack driver (sub MOA). I don't know anything about the 300blk barrels though. I'm very happy with mine though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
check marks armory
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I've heard lots of good things about Rainier Arms barrels.  These two are in stock:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3658

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3680

Plus, 90 day 100% refund, no questions asked.  Sounds like they stand behind their product.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
No joke, why go 300 blackout .... I searched for a friend all day today to find ammo....I thought 22LR was hard to find.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No joke, why go 300 blackout .... I searched for a friend all day today to find ammo....I thought 22LR was hard to find.

The ammo is hard to find but it is out there.  Will make a comeback soon enough now that 5.56 has returned to somewhat normalness.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a heads up Cabelas online is not limiting you to ammo like 5 boxes..... you can order as much as you want and just pick up in store. I have been hawking it all day.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#12]
The only ammo it's limiting you to is 22lr lol 1 box.... but you can order 3,000 rounds of brass .223 and pickup in store for .48 a round.....
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 1:09:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ok I found this one on guntrader CMMG 16" 300 Blackout AR 15 Barrel AR15 AAC BLK for $274 delivered.  Next question it says the barrel has the gas port positioned for use with pistol-length gas systems and works with subsonic and supersonic ammunition.  So the gas tube I currently have on my Ar15 wont work?

To answer your question, you will need a pistol length gastube.  Your 2 ar rifles wil be atleast carbine length or longer.  Pistol Lenght is probably the better setup for 300 blk.  I have a carbine length barrel from AAC and I had to change powders to Accurate 1680 to get the subsonics loads to cycle.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 2:49:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's certainly a caliber for reloaders.  

I love my blackout rifle,  and I'm really excited to try out the new Leupold Mark 4 with the blackout reticle that I just got some more.  I'll have to pump out more brass to load up some more rounds though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 3:29:05 AM EDT
[#15]
In all honestly unless you plan on selling the other .223 barrel, i would put together a complete upper and just switch bolt and carriers.  At least that is how i started, of course eventually the .300 blk uppers got their own lowers, and bolt and carriers.  Of course so did my dedicated .22 upper.

With the particular barrel you mentioned it would require a pistol gas tube and I would recommend a low profile gas block. that a rail system or hand guards over.

a 16 inch barrel with a carbine gas system will work.  Generally when you go less than 16 inches a pistol length system is needed to function with subsonic.  Obviously several manufactures are using the pistol length with 16 in barrels and this seems to work very well for subsonics.

And yes it a fun round to reload for.  i actually have not even purchased a single factory 300 blk/300 whisper round and I have fired thousands of them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 3:57:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And yes it a fun round to reload for.  i actually have not even purchased a single factory 300 blk/300 whisper round and I have fired thousands of them.

There aren't many cartridges that have bullets that are longer than the brass that holds them.  

That certainly makes reloading them seem interesting to me.  

But without a doubt,  my blackout rifle is the one that is most fun to shoot,  and starts the conversations at work.  My only regret was not getting my stainless barrel blackened.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I gave up on it too. Just sold my cmmg wasp barrel in the EE cuz its almost impossible to find the sub bullets.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I got my bbl at my local shop. Just got done with everything but the flash hider. They were out of 5/8th crush washers. Here is a Link

I also found ammo on line at freedom munitions for $.71 a round. Here is a Link
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got my bbl at my local shop. Just got done with everything but the flash hider. They were out of 5/8th crush washers. Here is a Link

Anybody have any experience with the SOTA barrels in 300BLK?

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 16" SOTA...no issues.  I read up on them as much as possible before I ordered.  When it came, I cleaned it out, chamber and all.  It was pretty clean compared to other barrels I have seen.  GTG as for as I can tell.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a 16" SOTA...no issues.  I read up on them as much as possible before I ordered.  When it came, I cleaned it out, chamber and all.  It was pretty clean compared to other barrels I have seen.  GTG as for as I can tell.

Thank you Sir, I've got a fresh 80% lower done and built waiting for a barrel.
I just finished a friend's build with a 16" CMMG, it seems to shoot my reloads nice, but can't find one in stock anywhere.

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It went together with no problem. All the specs look good. The markings on the bbls were poorly done. The laser markings had a shadow it looks like they started marking it and moved it and started again. I am waiting on the ammo to test it. I had some reloads from a friend but the did not feed well. I am currently blaming the reloads.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got an email that said the ammo from freedom munitions shipped. Due in Monday. I was hoping for Friday so I could shoot this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Ammo arrived today.  I should have a review of the ammo and the bbl by next week.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I've used SOTA barrels in some of my build projects including one in 300BLK.  I've also purchased a complete 300BLK upper from them.  I like their products and have not experienced any problems.  Actually, the 300's have been great shooters.

Here's the 300BLK pistol I built using a 10.5 inch barrel from ALPHA SHOOTING SPORTS

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I think you all have made up my mind, can't beat the price of the SOTA barrels.
My first 300 is going to be a 16", but I've already got plans for a 10.5" pistol as well.
I'm also making my own ammunition, I don't have to worry about finding that at least.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My first 300 is going to be a 16", but I've already got plans for a 10.5" pistol as well.
I'm also making my own ammunition, I don't have to worry about finding that at least.
View Quote

Let us know how the SOTA barrel does,

I thought about getting one, but I'm a little leery of budget barrels.  Found a Daniel Defense 16" in stock for $279 so went that route
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I thought about getting one, but I'm a little leery of budget barrels.  Found a Daniel Defense 16" in stock for $279 so went that route
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SOTA barrels are excellent.  I have close to 1,000 rounds through my 300 blackout barrel from them with no issues and great accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got a bunch of rounds through my two Wilson Combat 300BLK barrels (11.3" and 16") and I like them. A lot.

I'm building another shortly, and it will be a Wilson Combat barrel again.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ammo arrived today.  I should have a review of the ammo and the bbl by next week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Basic test fire of my 300 blk out built with the Sota bbl. I bought above. 5 rounds just to test function. Ran flawlessly. I hope to get out and test accuracy this weekend but thunder storms are on the forecast.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ran like a champ. No jams and less the. 3/4" grouping of 3 rounds at 50 yards supported but not in a gun vise. I forgot the lead sled when I went.

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#32]
The ammo at Freedom is in stock for $.67 a round now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Dumb Question

is the gas block a standard AR-15 gas block (same size as a 556 barrel) ?  Same Tube. I do understand that the tube has to be the correct length but is the mount up the same or is there a .300 blackout gas block.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 7:13:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I followed the link. I can't tell.... are they saying it comes with the gas block.?  It says .750 under....  or are they telling you what gas block to purchase....
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Dumb Question

is the gas block a standard AR-15 gas block (same size as a 556 barrel) ?  Same Tube. I do understand that the tube has to be the correct length but is the mount up the same or is there a .300 blackout gas block.
View Quote

The same exact part as a 5.56 barrel in carbine and pistol lengths.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#36]
My 300 blk rifle has a CMMG 16 in barrel with a carbine gas port,  it got it from Brownells for a hair over $200. It chews through supersonic rounds with no problems. I've only shot subsonics once for shits and giggles as I didn't expect them to do well, they mostly shot just fine with a few failures to eject. I chalk that up to the carbine gas system though. Blackout, at least for now, is very much a reloader round...it's just impossible to find sometimes. I hope this changes overtime as my next build is a 300 blk SBR with a can on it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I followed the link. I can't tell.... are they saying it comes with the gas block.?  It says .750 under....  or are they telling you what gas block to purchase....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to go back and look at the link to answer your question.
What they are saying is the barrel diameter where the gas block goes is .750". You need to know this when ordering a gas block for the bbl. you will see .650 (pencil bbl), .750" (standard bbl) and 1" (bull bbl).
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top