Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/23/2015 10:44:09 PM EDT
I started building my 300 blackout today. Never built an upper before. When I ordered my barrel and other parts I got everything at once. Everything was ordered from SOTA. Barrel, upper, low profile gas block, tube, A2 style flash hinder etc.

I went and put my washer on, them the flash hinder, it was lined up and clocked right but still lose. I knew I needed to tighten it up some made it almost a full turn around and it felt tight but needed to go a few more degrees. I went to tighten it more and snapped my washer. A co-worker of mine use to be an armorer in the marines took a look at my barrel and flash hinder, and washer and said it was a bad set up and that it will keep happening if I used the same set up, and that I need to find stainless steel type washers.

Has anyone else ran in to this, or know what I should be looking for. I found a couple sites that have some listed but I want to make sure I am getting the right thing for one. And two I am trying to find some where that has the washer(s) I need along with the magpul flip front and rear sights. Then Ill be ready to go shooting.

Thanks for any and all help
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:40:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2015 11:43:29 PM EDT by Warhawk]
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 7:52:59 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks I was looking on their site and wound something like that but I think it had like 25 shims or something in the package.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:44:31 PM EDT
The shims come in a variety of thicknesses, so there will be way more than you need.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 2:06:39 PM EDT
Were you re-using an old crush washer? The only time I have thrown a shim under a crush washer is when I am re-using it. A new crush washer should get you about a turn and a half before it bottoms out and even comes close to splitting.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:23:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By H53EXPERT:
Were you re-using an old crush washer? The only time I have thrown a shim under a crush washer is when I am re-using it. A new crush washer should get you about a turn and a half before it bottoms out and even comes close to splitting.
View Quote

No I was no using a used washer. Everything was new out of package. When I was putting it all together and screwed it on by hand it was clocked right, I know I still needed to tighten it got nearly a full turn and it was a couple degrees off. I tried to get it the rest of the way but it snapped.

I ordered the shims that where in the link provided this morning. So I hope Ill be able to have everything together soon.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:48:01 AM EDT
You don't use a crush washer with the shims, it's one or the other.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:58:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Warhawk:
You don't use a crush washer with the shims, it's one or the other.
View Quote

It doesn't matter. It started off being a shim system, then transitioned to a crush washer system. There is nothing wrong with using shims to give you the timing starting point that you desire.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:16:28 PM EDT
Warhawk, thanks for the advice. Got them in today after what seemed forever. Got everything thing together, they worked out great. Time to find a little more ammo and go brake it in.
Top Top