Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2006 3:01:43 PM EDT
I'm completely new to 2 stage triggers. I just installed a LMT 2 stage on my Bushmaster. I pull the trigger and hear a click then I have to pull again to disengage the hammer. Does this sound right? You can't pull all the way through on a 2 stage?
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm completely new to 2 stage triggers. I just installed a LMT 2 stage on my Bushmaster. I pull the trigger and hear a click then I have to pull again to disengage the hammer. Does this sound right? You can't pull all the way through on a 2 stage?

That sounds more like a set trigger rather than a two-stage.  A two-stage has a long pull with a point near the end of the travel in which there is a stop.  It then takes a bit more pressure to release the sear.  Usually, you do not want  perceptible movement to release the sear in the second stage.  

With a two-stage trigger it is possible to pull the trigger all the way to the rear to fire the rifle.  If the second stage is too light this can happen when you are taking up the slack in the first stage resulting in a discharge when you are not quite ready.

A set trigger can be set up in different ways.  Some you push the trigger forward to set, and then the trigger has a very light pull.  These triggers usually can fire the rifle with a heavy pull when not set.  Another type has two triggers.  The rear (usually) is the set trigger.  Pulling this one back sets the front for a light release.  Again, a heavy pull on the front  trigger normally fires the rifle too.

The last type is a single trigger in which the first pull sets the trigger, and it requires the trigger to be released and pulled again.  The second pull is often quite light.

I'm not familiar with the LMT and how it works.  But, if it is a two-stage then you should be able to fire the rifle with a single pull.  The click seems odd.  All two-stage triggers I have used have a noticble stop, but no click.

Are there any others who are familiar with the LMT triggers?

Dave

Edit: missing word.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The first stage will not break until I let off on the trigger. Then the 2nd stage will break on the 2nd pull of the trigger. The grip screw is not contacting anything, I'm using a magpul grip and there is a good amount of clearance. I even tried working the trigger with the grip screw removed and it still does the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like the trigger is OK because it functions normally in my PWA lower.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top