Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/7/2003 8:04:40 PM EDT
I changed my Aimpoint mount so this weekend I went out to re-zero it. Everything went fine until I was about ready to wrap up. Bang-bang! That wasn't expected. So, pressed the trigger and kept it trapped to the rear. One shot. Released the trigger and Bang. I knew the problem. Either the disconnector/hammer engagement was off, or the hammer/trigger engagement had worn. Pulled the hammer and sure enough, the hook where the disconnector caught was chipped. There was enough hook for the disconnector to catch, but when the trigger was released, the disconnector disengaged before the trigger was in place to catch the hammer.

I thought about it a bit and thought this is an interesting way to get a two shot burst. Anyway, if it happens to any of you, now you know what it is. You'll get perfectly safe 2 shot bursts (if you release the trigger promptly) until the engagement wears enough that the hammer follows the bolt carrier. I don't know if ATF would consider it an unregistered full-auto, but I left the hammer out anyway while I get a replacement.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:39:06 PM EDT
Warning!!! This is what I know and I am known to be wrong at times. ATF consider if more then one round are fired per each maniuplation of the trigger as illegal full auto. so if you pull and release, it is consider two movements, so you might be able to beat the law on that. Again, I look into it to see if you are in any danger with the law.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:58:50 PM EDT
That's probably considered a MG because he still only pulls the trigger once. Releasing is basically completing the action of pulling the trigger in a semi auto weapon and if it fires again during the release process that would likely be counted as a single act or one trigger pull by the ATF. Very interesting but it's probably not a good idea to keep it that way and it has the potential to become unsafe.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:07:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dorsai: I don't know if ATF would consider it an unregistered full-auto, but I left the hammer out anyway while I get a replacement.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:42:08 AM EDT
I once had a Cobray 9mm Carbine that did the same thing.... I'd just gotten it brand new at a gunshow, took it out to the range, and fired about 200 rounds through it. Towards the end it fired a round with the pull, and another round with the release of the trigger... BUT WAIT!!! I thought this was really cool so i continued to do it. However after while, the gun went into UNCONTROLLABLE FULL-AUTO, and then a i heard a loud bang and that was it. The gun was totalled, but luckily the guy who sold it to me replaced it with something else. But Cobrays suck and i was using crappy ammo as well, so it may be different with you.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:59:18 AM EDT
Many years agoI had a 1911 style .45 pistol malfunction and go full auto unexpectedly, and it was not a pleasant experience. Was on an indoor range. Luckly, I only had 5 rounds in the mag at the time, and was using a two handed hold. If your weapon is not functioning properly and you know it, you are not only "playing with fire," but could have a HUGH legal libality if someone is hurt as a result. Just a suggestion... get it fixed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:10:26 PM EDT
Dorsai, You should really get that fixed, what you have is called a slamfire and it can cause damage and could as Lockedon discovered be very destructive. That's my two cents
Top Top