Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:01:47 AM EDT
#1) I'm about to strip my lower receiver of parts for paint (when it's not below 0 outside again) and can't figure out how to get the pivot pin detent out. It seems to be in there pretty deep where I can't get to it.

#2) My daughters 6 position M4 stock extends a little long for her, and my 4 position CAR is a little short for me at full extension. Is it possible to swap the buffer tubes with each other and/or would this make a difference in the lengths?

Any tips, I would appreciate.

Mark
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#1]
#1) Take a can of PC cleaning air and shoot it through the lube hole in the receiver detent spring channel. I can’t imagine the spring not forcing it out on it’s own.

#2) Swap stocks from one rifle to the other with out pulling the ext tubes off and try them that way.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanx for the info.. I wasn't real clear on what I needed to get out the pivot pin. The pivot pin is what I'm trying to remove. I can't get the detent out of the channel on the back of the pin. Spring pressure is holding it in, and I can't seem to get anything in behind it to pry it out (against spring pressure... little bitty parts here)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanx for the info.. I wasn't real clear on what I needed to get out the pivot pin. The pivot pin is what I'm trying to remove. I can't get the detent out of the channel on the back of the pin. Spring pressure is holding it in, and I can't seem to get anything in behind it to pry it out (against spring pressure... little bitty parts here)

I see now. Do you have a set of feeler gauges or a thin piece of metal to slip in-between the detent and the pivot pin? Even a razor blade would work, but don’t blame me if you shed blood!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Well..., the detent is down in the channel in the back of the pivot pin, held in by spring pressure (as designed) I need to get down in the channel and under the nose of the detent somehow.

Mark
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#5]
The pointed tip of an exacto knife blade works well here. Keeps the detent and spring back while you pull the pin (before you launch the spring and detent!)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I think I got it now... Thanx.

Mark
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Just swapped out buffer tubes, and it did indeed work. Mine is now about 3/4 inch longer, and hers is that much shorter
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just swapped out buffer tubes, and it did indeed work. Mine is now about 3/4 inch longer, and hers is that much shorter

Excellent!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top