Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/30/2006 5:55:04 AM EDT
Anyony got one, I'm thinking about getting one and was just wondering if they are worth the few extra $$$
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Had one, shot the lightweight ammo well. Gave it up for a .204 and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anyony got one, I'm thinking about getting one and was just wondering if they are worth the few extra $$$

IMHO..., your better off with a 1:12  for even the lightest bullets!!  Better to over spin, than under spin!!

Generally anything over, and possibly including 50 grain bullets will probably be under  stabilized with a 1:14  unless it is a stubby round nose w/flat base which would not be condusive to good accuracy past 100 yards anyway!!

Unless you want to exclusively shoot 40 & 45 grain bullets,  the 1:14 is pretty much useless!!

Your very limited with 1:14 twist!  In theroy (Greenhill Formula) The 1:14 wouldn't be able to properly stabilize bullets over .538" in length.  Even the 50 gr. V-Max or Blitzking are .776" in length which puts  them @ 44% past the maximum length acording to the Greenhill Formula!! Although this formula is not exact...., it is generally a pretty accurate guide!

I have always got my best long range accuracy with the 1:9 twist  in .223  It shoots bullets from 45 to 63 gr.  with awesome accuracy!!

My feeling is that the 1:14 is old news & obsolete when compared to the performance of the 1:9 or 1:12 & even 1:8!!!  

The only reason I can imagine why a 1:14 Upper would cost more would have to be a supply & demand issue.  I doubt many people use them so there's not many available, as a result those who actually do want them have to pay the extra $$!!

Hope this is helpful  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top