Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2005 6:54:27 PM EDT
Our unit has recently accessed a recent graduate of the sniper school, but we do not have authorization for a sniper rifle.  I am looking at building a 24" heavy barrel upper with optics to pin onto this soldier's issue A2 rifle to give him a "better than nothing" alternative.

Question for the group:  I've found two twist rates; 1:8 and 1:14.  I'm assuming the 1:8 is preferable for our issue ammo, and the 1:14 is for lighter rounds?  Anyone want to comment on that?

Also, how much additional effective range/lethality can we expect from the additional 4" of barrel?

We'll be restricted to whatever we get issued over there, as our unit doesn't have authorization for jack poop, but I can see several ways to effectively employ our sniper to assist our mission.

If someone has alternatives on how to get from here to there, sniper rifle wise, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Definately 1/8. Where I really wouldn't recommend .223 for a sniper weapon at least you can use the heavy stuff out to pretty long ranges. With a 1/14" you would be better off sniping grounhog. You probably couldn't even shoot 55gr w/ a 1/14".
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The additional barrel length is not as important as the quality of the barrel.  Id get a good 20" over a factory 24" any day.  Get a 1/8 or 1/7 barrel.  Order up a pallet of MK262 Mod1 ammo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  I live down the road from Gordy Gritters and suddenly realized that I should be asking him this question....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top