Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2004 6:11:01 AM EDT
I was thinking of buying the "Standard" uppers from Model1Sales since they have the only standard 24" chromelined chamber/bore barrel and not some weird varmint/stainless bull barrel.

One of the reasons I'm not really into the SS/bull barrel is that its not chrome lined in accordance with mil-spec, so it may be ultra accurate but its not going to be rugged??? I want a lifespan of at least 20,000 rounds.

Since it's only 1 in 9 twist, what are my options for ammo?
I want some for accurate but cheap plinking, and some for competition use at 200 yd, 300yd, etc...

I don't mind using long barrels, the more the merrier I say.

My current rifle is a 16.5" hammer-forged and chrome lined barrel in a VEPR K (7.62x39). My best is about 1.4 MOA (~0.7" at 50 yd) using Cor-Bon 125gr JHP.

I'm looking for consistent 1-1.5 MOA or sub-MOA, but without breaking the bank for ammo and getting another cool "evil assault rifle".
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:21:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Although the 24" rifle really comes into it's own, when compared to the 20" past the 500 yard line, it's also generally intended for accuracy, which is why most prefer the greater accuracy potential of stainless steel barrels.

As your stated ranges are nuthing, the 20" rifle with Black Hills (blue-box) 69 grn. SMKs will more than meet your accuracy requirements, IMO. Ya may even get the BH (bb) 77 grn. SMKs to shoot well too in the 20" 1/9 twist bbl.

I see no need for your looking past the 20" or even a 16" if 300 yards is your max intended range usage.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#2]
300yd isn't the max intended range, I should have just written 300yd+
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#3]
CHEAP BUT ACCURATE PLINKING AT DISTANCE

With my DPMS 1x9 A2 HBAR, my "poor man's match round" is 62 gr Winchester FMJ.
BC rated at .28. Have probably gone thru about 2,000+ rds so far without one issue and am pleased with its performance, consistency and reasonable cost. At 200 yds with a 3-9 x 40 scope, I can punch out the center of a 12" Dirty Bird if I'm having a good day.

Another member reported very satisfying results with Federal AE 62 gr in his 1x9 as well, but I have not had the chance to try that load yet.

Also, Saturday was my first shoot with HotShot SS109 (62gr); only shot a small qty, but impressive so far.

My definitive impression is that my DPMS really likes 62 gr.

From local gunshops in my area, both go for about $4.25 / 20. Am sure buying on the web in bulk can bring even that cost down.

200 yds is the max at my range in CT, so I can't advise personal experience beyond that.

Based on my own personal experience, Wolf Poly ammo is certainly "cheap", but the term "accurate" can be used only in the context of targets that are beachballs, and the issues I have run into with it, such as chamber jams, just don't make up for lower cost. I consider it "blasting ammo", but YMMV.

MATCH AMMO

Although I have not shot a lot, Federal Match 69 gr and Black Hills Blue Box 69 gr loads do very very well at 200 yds in my 1x9. Having not the time, eyes, wallet or inclination to become a match shooter, I don't shoot much of those loads, but what I have shot has yielded impressive results.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top