Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 6:08:40 AM EST
DPMS has a new A-22 which is an AR lower and a new upper made for 22 long rifle $495.00, and it is very costly. Conversion kits $139.00 for the AR-15 is cheaper but is it as accurate? Has anyone here used either? And what is your opinon? Thinking about buying one or the other...
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:05:29 AM EST
I have a Ciner unit that I love. It has never jamed. I got the 22LR to plink, I shoot it through a carbine and it is accurate enough to kill milk bottles. My AR is a Colt SP1 with the high twist rate so the 20in barrel is, I would say accurate. I would suggest going with the conversion, if for no other reason, you can buy a hell of a lot of 22LR for $350.00 youll be saving. I am collecting parts to build a dedicated 22LR upper, just so I can eliminate the gas tube and to increase the range of my golf ball launcher.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:14:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2003 6:08:18 PM EST by SBR7_11]
I posted about the A-22 couple weeks ago. Do a search with "A-22". It's in the pistol forum. It (A-22) i in the newest American Rifleman. DPMS bores the center out of the chamber adapter, then inserts the "nose" of the barrel into the ring, and system uses a std 22LR chamber and barrel. DPMS uses the Colt system, but same could be done to the Ceiner kits' chamber adapter. Somebody stole the "SEARCH" button again.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:31:14 PM EST
I have a Ciener .22 conversion $139 I bought at Bushmaster - love it! Had some probs at first until I realized I had somehow bent a lip on the mag in so it had a problem chambering rounds, but after I bent that back out perfection. The only downfall it is hard to find high cap mags - not news I'm sure, but extra 10 rounders are about $30.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:29:13 AM EST
The only negatives I've heard about the conversion units is that they can make a mess out of the gas system. There may be some issues with lead shaving. This may be a non-issue if every shooting session is followed by a few 223 rounds to blow it out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:17:07 PM EST
I'd believe that Southern_Raider, I opened my AR up today to clean it for the first time since I put the conversion in, it was a mess, a Gritty mess!!! Maybe because I had put many (700 or so) rounds through it (because it is sooo cheap since the conversion).
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:17:06 PM EST
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=145537&w=myTopicPop[/url] Conversion kit in a .223 barrel will not be as accurate as the DPMS. If you already have a lower you can get just the upper from DPMS for about $400, maybe less from a dealer. I have a Ciener kit and will probably get a dedicated upper for it this summer. I won't get a DPMS because I want to be able to shoot the .22LR with iron sights. If you are happy with the configuration of the DPMS--16" flattop w/o front sight--then I'd go for that. If you can live with 2-3" at 25 yards accuracy you'll be fine with the kit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:00:13 PM EST
There is write up about it in this months issue of "The American Rifleman".
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:57:43 PM EST
The .223 bbl is .224, too big for the .221 diameter of the 22 LR. Thay's why the dedicated 22 LR bbl/upper is better. Sure your AR upper works, but not as well as a dedicated upper.
Top Top