Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 9:16:46 AM EDT
Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I actually make my first AR purchase.

I have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with.

I've noticed that 22LR is incredibly cheap (1000rds from Cabelas for $45). I want a gun to plink with that I can actively shoot on a regular basis when I'm at home. I'm a college kid, not making much money, so at this point, the more the merrier, especially when it's cheaper.

What are the draw backs to a 22LR upper? I wouldn't need a conversion kit because it's not cost effective seeing as I don't have an AR. I'd probably buy a 22LR upper and attach it to a complete lower from Del-Ton.

I saw Bushmaster has a kit (www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/post-ban/az15846k.asp) but I haven't seen it mentioned in this forum. I'm going to assume that because it's Bushmaster it is of good quality. It's also cheaper than the DPMS upper.

How does a 22LR upper compare to a 9MM upper in the long run? Is it pretty much 50/50? Why go 9MM instead of 22LR?

I appreciate your help,
Ruin
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#1]
1000 rounds of .22 for $45? You can get 1000 for under $20 at Walmart.

.22 vs 9 in an AR is no contest for me. .22 all the way. Cheap, accurate, cheap, fun, reliable, and cheap. I don't know why EVERY AR shooter doesn't have a .22 top half for it. They'd use it a lot more than they use the fog lamps, pistol grips, mud flaps, MP3 players and cup holders they're so eager to buy and screw on now. I don't get the whole 9mm AR thing at all. If I want to launch nines, that's what a Browning Hi-Power is for.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#2]
9mm
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#3]
.22LR is definately more fun and cheaper than 9x19, the 9mm uppers are more of a project for the advanced ARer to get running right.  By the time you buy the upper, buffer, hammer, mag block and magazines they are definately more expensive; not to mention the fact that sometimes people buy one type of part and end-up buying a different one later.  Shop around for the cheapest brand-name lower you can find and buy a DPMS or CZ .22 upper.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest buying a Ruger 10/22 rifle. You can get large capacity magazines for it also. It is much more inexpensive and reliable than an AR-15. And the ammo is dirt cheap. Are you stuck on wanting an AR-15?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Since your in college and funds are somewhat limited. I would sugest a 10/22. You don't have an AR at this time . For very little cost you would be shooting the 10/22. You can always save up and buy the AR later as your buget permits.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been looking at an Ar-15 because I have a love affair with the gun. I got to fire my uncle's over the summer and just said "wow."

I've been lurking on these forums for several weeks now just reading EVERYTHING. I thought that building would be a great way to do. Do it yourself, it's cheaper, the experience of building and simply owning one. I know that saving up about $750 over the summer to buy one, how I want it, won't be an issue. I own a Sistema 1911 that I don't shoot because of ammo pricing. That's why I was looking at the 22LR for the AR-15.

Thanks for the advice on the 10/22. I'll look at some local shops over the weekend and see what I can find (I see that even Walmart has them, haha).
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Student loans for guns........lol!

Go 22LR all the way.....10/22 is a good way to go.....if you are looking to get into the AR world in the future by all means get a 22 AR-15 now.  

Buy one of the complete 22 rifles direct from the manufacturer.......DPMS, Bushy.......you will have a warranty and tech support.  A great start to learning will be with just basic maintance and use.  Mix and match some parts later.

I don't recommend building one yourself, it is MORE expensive and requires some experience to get them to run right.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Be advised that the Bushmaster .22LR uppers are under mega-double-secret backorder right now.

As in, I ordered my Carbon 15 .22LR upper in mid-October 2005 and it is still no where in sight.

They are making "improvements" to the design including new magazines.

Currently they are waiting for the new "molds" to be finished.

That's what I'm told by customer service as of the beginning of Feb 06.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's some more food for thought. If you are considering buying a dedicated 22 lr upper and then buying or building a lower,  you will probably be in the price range of a complete pre owned 5.56 ar 15. Espically  one in post ban configuration.  Or if you have a lower, look for a pre owned 5.56 upper and if you want to save even more, get the upper minus bolt and carrier. These parts can be added later. . Then look for a pre owned 22 lr conversion kit and you will now have both. Your 22 lr conversion may not be of benchrest accuracy, but it will be more than adequate for plinking. I have a conversion kit in a 5.56 with 1 in 9 twist barrel and tin cans out to 50 yds do not stand a chance.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I vote 9mm.  You can buy a complete rifle chambered in 9mm from RRA or bushmaster.  Then add a couple of WWB 100 round boxes of ammo for like $11.00, and you are good to go.  A 9mm AR is an absolute hoot to shoot, cheap on ammo, and (in my opinion) looks cooler than an AR with a 22lr upper.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#11]
9mm gets my vote too.  Unlike 22lr, it can serve double duty as a house gun.  High cap 22 mags for ARs are rare and pricey (and some say flimsy).  Plus a ruger 10/22 is just better in terms of accessories and availability of mags for plinking.  And you can get those at wal-mart for less than $140.  And you can get 550 rounds of 22lr at wal-mart for $8. And 100 rounds of 9mm for $11.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Start with a basic AR lower.  

First upper - an old 1/12 twist M-16.  You are now set up for .223.

Next:  Ciener conversion, which will shoot fine through the .223 upper.  Blaze away for $16 per 1,000!

Finally:  RRA for a 9mm upper, a buffer, and a top-loading mag block.  Use cheap converted Uzi mags cut for the AR.  Wolf 9mm:  $105 or so per 1,000.  

Take it step by step and acquire the goodies as your $$ permit.  You CAN have it all!  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Following GunDisaster's advice I picked up a Ruger 10/22 Saturday (Well, I can't pick it up until their renewed FFL is physically in their hands, so it will be in my posession Friday).

It's solid black, synthetic stock that MSRPs for $250. I got it for $159 including tax.

This hasn't turned me off to the AR-15, it just gives me something to shoot with so I can wait and save for my first AR.

I appreciate all the responses everyone!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#14]
You can't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned.......have fun!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#15]
now you need some 10/22 25rd magazines... and do a mag dump to annoy the 70yr old guy at the range doing  one 22lr round/ 15 minutes
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Now go to rimfirecentral.com and learn all about your new toy. 10/22's are almost as addicting as AR's.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#17]
10/22 is a cool toy !
Rimfirecentral.com is to 10/22's as AR15.com is to ar's
Irons on a 10/22 kinda suck,find yourself a lower power scope,I like my simons 1.5x5.
When you get a chance upgrade your trigger- stock one is only fair,the aftermarket ones are real sweet.
Save your pennys and sock them away untill you can find a deal on a brand name used AR. You can always fix op or upgrade no use paying big bucks for a brand new gun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]
www.staffordsales.com has some good 10/22 stuff. i have used them before and have been pleased.

i would get a bolt buffer and  target hammer (power custom brand) to start off with.  the bolt buffer is actually needed on a 10/22 b/c it uses a steel pin in an aluminum reciever.. it will egg the hole out over time, trust me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#19]
.50 BEOWULF!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top