Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/15/2009 8:51:33 AM EST
Ok guys, all bullshit aside, what dedicated 22LR upper AR or bolt kit works the best with the least amount
of issues. I want something I can shoot non stop (Like a Ruger 10/22) and not have any stoppages or
failures that are BS related. OK, lay it on me. I want to hear some of your opinions. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:00:18 AM EST
Check out the rimfire forum. Lots of good info there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:04:55 AM EST
spikestactical

no further debate required
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:28:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By ColourSgtBourne:
spikestactical

+1
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:31:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By SaBotage6:
spikestactical

+1

++1

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:36:51 AM EST
I have a Spike's dedicated upper and I really like it and so far - mine has run pretty well. Others have had lots of issues - mostly ammo related. My understanding is .22's are finicky anyway about certain ammo, so you just have to find the kind it likes.

So given that.... I think its hard to say that a Spikes will be guaranteed to run "non-stop". They make a quality product, that's for sure and I'd get another product from them in a heartbeat because they have great CS. Given what I've read so far about .22 AR uppers - very few of them run 100% with no feeding or firing issues. It may just be the nature of the beast.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:40:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By oneshot_onekill:
spikestactical

+1

++1

+3
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:13:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By BIG_PAPA:
spikestactical

+1

++1

+3

+4 and +5 (hey, i have two!)
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:00:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By Eagle-ReaperDriver:
I have a Spike's dedicated upper and I really like it and so far - mine has run pretty well. Others have had lots of issues - mostly ammo related. My understanding is .22's are finicky anyway about certain ammo, so you just have to find the kind it likes.

So given that.... I think its hard to say that a Spikes will be guaranteed to run "non-stop". They make a quality product, that's for sure and I'd get another product from them in a heartbeat because they have great CS. Given what I've read so far about .22 AR uppers - very few of them run 100% with no feeding or firing issues. It may just be the nature of the beast.

+1 NO rimfire upper will be 100%. I had a Spike's upper and now have a new Colt .22 M4 that I'll be shooting for the first time tomorrow. If you read the Spike's Industry forum you'll see that there are a TON of tricks to get your Spike's upper running properly. While they are excellent quality and have amazing CS behind them, unfortunately it's the nature of rimfire. It's all about finding the ammo that it likes; I tried 7 different types finding 2 that ran flawlessly in my Spike's.

Tactical Innovations seem to get good reviews as well, but if I bought another .22 upper I'm 98% sure it'd be a Spike's.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:24:26 AM EST
http://www.compasslake.com/22uppers.htm
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:32:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By snick97:
spikestactical

+1

++1

+3

+6 and hopefully +7 in the very near future. My wife took her's out yesterday and had only one failure in an entire federal bulk pack (550rds). Spikes

makes a great quality upper. I'm extremely impressed and no longer see a need for the GSG I had.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:38:28 AM EST
+n Told ya
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:45:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 11:55:47 AM EST by pigmy]
I waited to get a dedicated upper rather than a ciener-type conversion so that I would not have to tinker around with it. Well, guess what –– a year later and I'm still tinkering around with my Spike's dedicated upper. I should just take the time and send it back to Tom. Seems to be a hit or miss as far as reliability is concerned. Many folks claim near 100%. It is true that the .22lr is marginal in its ability to function in semi/full auto magazine fed rifles. Issues with the shape of the cartridge, its low power and its overall fouling. So, am I disappointed? Yeah, a little.

BTW if you can "shoot non stop (Like a Ruger 10/22) and not have any stoppages or
failures that are BS related" with magazines other than the original 10 round rotary or perhaps the TI 25, then I'd suggest that you stay with the 10/22. The only .22lr's that I have that function 100% are tube fed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:51:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 11:54:56 AM EST by USMC-Helo]
Originally Posted By jerz_subbie:
+1 NO rimfire upper will be 100%.

Exactly, the rim of a rimfire does NOT make for good magazine feeding, even the best is going to have a problem every once in a while. NOT complaining, I'm more than happy with ultra cheap .22lr ammo, I just realize I'll have a few misfeeds out of a box of 100. Yes, some are better than others as well, just pointing out don't expect the best one to be perfect.

Someone mentioned Ruger 10/22, take a close look at its magazine, compare it to others, I suspect that magazine is why you see far less feed problems on the 10/22, don't know that, it just seems that machined a shaped metal block at the top that the rounds feed out of it, makes a difference. No, NOT aware of any AR .22 uppers that use the Ruger 10/22 magazine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:52:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By pigmy:
I waited to get a dedicated upper rather than a ciener-type conversion so that I would not have to tinker around with it. Well, guess what –– a year later and I'm still tinkering around with my Spike's dedicated upper. I should just take the time and send it back to Tom. Seems to be a hit or miss as far as reliability is concerned. Many folks claim near 100%. It is true that the .22lr is marginal in its ability to function in semi/full auto magazine fed rifles. Issues with the shape of the cartridge, its low power and its overall fouling. So, am I disappointed? Yeah, a little.

Send it back to Tom. I guarantee he will take care of you and make sure it's up and running properly. As you already know .22s can be finicky guns to begin with but if you find the right ammo

they are usually good to go. Interestingly, the Spike's upper that my wife has loves federal bulk packs but doesn't seem to like CCI minimags as much.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:32:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 4:32:44 PM EST by UZIBoy]

Originally Posted By Jeep297:
Originally Posted By snick97:
spikestactical

+1

++1

+3

+6 and hopefully +7 in the very near future. My wife took her's out yesterday and had only one failure in an entire federal bulk pack (550rds). Spikes

makes a great quality upper. I'm extremely impressed and no longer see a need for the GSG I had.

+8

My Spike's has it's moments. Usually those moments are when the mags get dirty. Federal bulk runs pretty good through it. I am planning on another Spike's later in the year.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:08:39 AM EST
Also spikes, own 2 and a 3rd conversion bolt assy. Great CS if needed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:39:27 AM EST
I run a tactical solutions dedicated .22 upper, I can't say enough good things about it. Get some cmmg or BD mags and you should be gtg.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:03:21 AM EST
My wife love's her Spike's upper

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:11:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By Jeep297:
My wife love's her Spike's upper

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k60/brandoneh297/Niceshot.jpg

I'm sure she does.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:48:46 AM EST
My brother has a nickel Spikes conversion he runs in his High Standard AR 15 with standard FCG. He has shot at least 3000 of Federal 550 bulk rounds through it and has had one stove pipe using BDM mags. I have a KKF upper which uses a Ciener conversion kit and I can't remember ever having a malfunction using the 27 round BDM mags. I bought a new 15 round BDM and had to file a little off the feed lips and now its 100% reliable. I use a RRA NM trigger with my KKF and I have 2 dedicated DPMS AR 22's with RRA NM triggers. With good ammo they are all close to 100 % reliable. Lots of cheap fun as long as you can find good ammo. I usually use Federal 550 bulk, Aguila 40 grain SE plated RN and CCI Blazers with great results.

Top Top