Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2003 2:46:09 PM EDT
Anyone had any experince with this ammo?
I tried today to shoot some in my 16" H-Bar Colt. A lot of flyers.
Tried in my 20" Bushy right on target.Grouped in a 2" x 1 1/2" on the five shots.
Was trying to "Zero" at 25 meters on iron sights.
Very strange how it would group out of the Colt.
Maybe someone can explain I hope.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Some rifles just shoot better with certain ammo than others. Some people find the cheapo Winchester white box 45 gr JHP to be more accurate than expensive match ammo. Think of each gun as an individual. Some people love pizza where others prefer hamburgers. Guns can be the same way with ammo. Of course your Bushy likely has a 1:9 twist where the Colt most likely has a 1:7 twist. The Colt might just shoot better with heavier bullets. Try some various other loads through it such as M193 spec ammo and see if the groups improve. If not, move up to something heavier (i.e. 62 grain) and see if that helps.

-CH
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Thanks for your reply.

They are both 1:9

I agree, but just was wondering if anyone had tried PMC 55Gr.FMJ-BT and what they thought about it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]
That's interesting. I had the same thing happen to me the other day with the same type of ammo. I was getting a lot of flyers at 25 yds (which shouldn't happen).

Previously I've had good luck with that ammo. But it might just be the rifle. I'm going to try a bunch of different brands to see if this is the case, or if my FH is on to tight or something.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I've used quite a bit of the PMC .223 over the years and it's always been one of the more accurate loads I have used. But it is really underpowered (unless it's the older mil-spec M193 stuff). I'd suggest trying something else in your Colt as it sounds like it just doesn't like this particular ammo. The Federal XM193 or Winchester Q3131A may be more accurate for you and will also give you much better velocity and terminal performance as well.

-CH
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:20:37 AM EDT
[#5]
No problems here with 55gr. PMC - though most of what I've shot recently is over 2 years old.
Groups fine out of 1/7, 1/9, and 1/12.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot some PMC 55 FMJ.

Good clean ammo in my experience from a 20" HBAR.

Maybe not the most accurate stuff though.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot about 200 rounds of it no failures.  I thought it was pretty good ammo for cheaper stuff.  It actually grouped ok in my colt 20".  It was better than some.  In my opinion, not a good self defense ammo.  just good plinking stuff.  jj
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had good luck with 55gr PMC.  As someone else said, it's pretty mild stuff.  Accuracy is OK.  I'd love to find some cheap, it'd make great plinking ammo.  Other than the local Gander Mountain, I can never find it.  Anyone knows of a company or website?

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top