Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 9:59:27 AM EDT
Any one try the stuff Ammoman has for sale?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I'd avoid the stuff....especially for use in a carbine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have to laugh at his LC ammo advertising -- one sentence says "BRAND NEW AMMO" and the next sentence says "SINCE THIS AMMO IS PACKED LOOSE THE DATES MAY VARY - ALL DATES IN THE 2000's"

So if it was made in 2001 that means it's brand new??  WTF??

The Army isn't buying AA40; however, the Navy/Marines bought in 2004 (with deliveries thru 2005).
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe he means it is not remanufactured.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Then he should say that.  It's government rejects, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have bought over 5,000 rounds from the (Eric) Ammoman, He is a decent person to me. I don't see any false advertising on his website. If there is please feel free to point it out to me.

Not everyone will agree with this but he is fair to me. His prices are in the competitive line. He gets me the ammo when I need it . I  just received 1000 rounds Monday, it's all good.

I wish he was a little cheaper on his price but it's my choice to buy from him or not. The ammo I bought Monday is the XM193 (boxed) and it's all good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The frangible is made by Federal and it is new in the cardboard boxes, mine was marked FC 02.  It is not the blem/reject box o' bullets stuff.  If someone knows different that it is rejected ammo and can prove it, do so.  It comes in boxes and labelled cans, something (in my experience) that is not done with  rejects.

It works fine in the way it was intended - as training ammunition for use on steel.  Not for self-defence or blowing away little furry balls of cuteness.   Functions in my 14.5" M4 just fine, at least the 380 rounds I fired in training at Gunsite. Accurate at 100+ meters on popper targets.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The frangible is made by Federal and it is new in the cardboard boxes, mine was marked FC 02.  It is not the blem/reject box o' bullets stuff.  If someone knows different that it is rejected ammo and can prove it, do so.  It comes in boxes and labelled cans, something (in my experience) that is not done with  rejects.

It works fine in the way it was intended - as training ammunition for use on steel.  Not for self-defence or blowing away little furry balls of cuteness.   Functions in my 14.5" M4 just fine, at least the 380 rounds I fired in training at Gunsite. Accurate at 100+ meters on popper targets.

Did the Frangibles come from Ammoman? How would it work out in the 16" barrel? Don't want to sound stupid about this type of ammo, but why would someone need the Frangible type ammo?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought some from him, and I like it.  Thought about using it for stray cats around the farm, but after shooting it at scrap half inch pine, and thin gauge metal decided it's not really that frangible.  Shoots same as ball ammo up to 100 yards or so, and cycles fine, although if you pull a live round out of the chamber, the tip is screwed up (soft sintered copper powder with some type of bonding agent).  Now I keep a clip full in my gun for coyotes around the yard at night, not so much worry about a ball projectile skipping into an irrigation pipe a quarter mile away.  

I did shoot it through 1-9 twist carbine barrel, and round was stable enough not to give baffle strikes.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#9]
If it is USGI frangible than it is spec'd to function fine in 14.5 barrels so it should work fine with a 16" weapon.  The issue that the military has with Frangible is it has never really meet the total spec's called for, specifically it never seems to have the limited penetration called for or isn't water resistant as it is suppose to be.  

The need for frangible is for shoot houses and steel targets when shooting close in is part of the course of fire, 5.56 ball has a tendency to fragment and can causes wounds to the shooters if too close to steel targets or backstops (I have a had to have a piece of 855 removed from left shoulder because of this).
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the responces, I just want some for shooting steal at 15 to 25 yards.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks for the responces, I just want some for shooting steal at 15 to 25 yards.

Absolutely EXCELLENT for that application.  I have some of this ammo and you can easily ring the gongs safely at those ranges.

GO FOR IT!  you won't be disappointed!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'd gladly read any real documentation substantiating this internut myth!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Personally, I'd avoid the stuff....especially for use in a carbine.

Care to expound?

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd gladly read any real documentation substantiating this internut myth!

I'm with markm, Got proof?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I got mine from Ammoman.  I did not mention it but I have shot it in 16" carbines too.  Works fine through a suppressor although there was some of that fine brown dust in it.  That dust was blown out with some M193.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Again with specifically with weapons having M4 ramps....I'd be particularly careful with any misfed rounds & recommend cleaning @ 300-400 rds...Also...let us know if you get any KBs.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Again with specifically with weapons having M4 ramps....I'd be particularly careful with any misfed rounds & recommend cleaning @ 300-400 rds...Also...let us know if you get any KBs.

Hotgun

What in the hell are you talking about?  Any misfed rounds from any type of ammo should be inspected before trying to refeed it into a mag.  

What do M4 feed ramps have to do with anything?  I understand that the tip of the bullet is frangible, but the ammo is designed to feed thru M16s.

Why would one need to clean after 300-400 rounds?  (Not that I can think of any reason to fire 3-4 hundred rounds of frangible in a row because it's too expensive to plink with.)

And why do you imply that there's some concern for KBs?  The ammo is loaded fairly hot, but not as hot as XM193.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#19]
FWIW, The AF has a pile of the Federal Frangible "stuff" & have had several KBs...so I don't have too high opinion of it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
FWIW, The AF has a pile of the Federal Frangible "stuff" & have had several KBs...so I don't have too high opinion of it.

You know the funny part is a local AF base will only allow my unit to use Frangible on their zero range, their CATM does really understand it other than "it suppose to break apart" and not ricochet as far, he didn't even want to look at the USMC report on it, showing it acted more like ball than, unless it hit something like Pepper Popper, the spec called for.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top