Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2006 5:17:19 PM EDT
I'm looking for (best case) loaded 223/5.56 with no headstamp, or somewhere to buy brass (worst case) with no headstamp. Any leads?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm looking for (best case) loaded 223/5.56 with no headstamp, or somewhere to buy brass (worst case) with no headstamp. Any leads?

Good luck. You might try one of the smaller specialty ammo/case makers and see if they will make a run for you. I don't think you will find anything from the bigger makers because of liability/wrong cartridge/caliber, wrong gun. Think .222 and .223, heck someone would JAM a cartridge in something if it was close and sue if it hurt them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck. You might try one of the smaller specialty ammo/case makers and see if they will make a run for you. I don't think you will find anything from the bigger makers because of liability/wrong cartridge/caliber, wrong gun. Think .222 and .223, heck someone would JAM a cartridge in something if it was close and sue if it hurt them.

Yeah, I figured no headstamp brass is probably as good as it will get.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the purpose?  Would any uncommon headstamp work?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What's the purpose?  Would any uncommon headstamp work?

I'd really like it to be blank, but I guess if it had a small headstamp with just the caliber it would be OK.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Why?  Are you going behind enemy lines or something?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been shooting since 1997, so I know that isn't a long time.  But I have never seen unmarked brass.  Have you been drinking or something?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've heard that Starline will make brass with a custom headstamp if you place a large enough order (10k peices if memory serves).  Not sure how much it costs to do that compared to standard headstamps or if there is a set-up fee.  I also don't know if no headstamp at all is something they will do or not.  Starline brass is good stuff though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard that Starline will make brass with a custom headstamp if you place a large enough order (10k peices if memory serves).  Not sure how much it costs to do that compared to standard headstamps or if there is a set-up fee.  I also don't know if no headstamp at all is something they will do or not.  Starline brass is good stuff though.

I looked over the website last night, and they only appear to do pistol brass.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I love you too!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Why?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why?

Maybe he is an "Operator" and needs clean ammo?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:17:56 AM EDT
[#13]
why why why. How about... none of your damn business? Jebus.

Since everyone wants to know why, I'll make something up.

I'm a cowboy
On a steel horse I ride
And I'm wanted
Dead or alive

I walk these streets
A loaded six string on my back
I'm playing for keeps
And I might not make it back

That's why.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I came across an odd headstamp my last range session. I'm guessing it came from Black Hills BB.
It is .223/5.56 but the only thing on the headstamp is Nato cross and '04. I'm guessing you wouldn't be interested in having a date on the HS for obvious reasons. Just thought it was interesting. I posted this question last week and only got one anwser on ID. Maybe someone else knows who Mfg. this? Someone thought it was LC.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I came across an odd headstamp my last range session. I'm guessing it came from Black Hills BB.
It is .223/5.56 but the only thing on the headstamp is Nato cross and '04. I'm guessing you wouldn't be interested in having a date on the HS for obvious reasons. Just thought it was interesting. I posted this question last week and only got one anwser on ID. Maybe someone else knows who Mfg. this? Someone thought it was LC.

what I'm really looking for is the maximum contiguous space to do some engraving as a gift. An 04 (+) might work, but all of the headstamps I've seen have lots of dead space between the imprints.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool...  A bullet with your name on it!!!

WAIT!!!  No one wants a bullet with their name on it!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#17]
It's not 5.56 but AIM Surplus was selling some no headstamp WW2 8mm ammo for a buck fifty per 15 rounds a bit ago. They might still have some of it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It would be a cartridge, not a bullet, but same thing.

I think I'm just going to have them made out of solid brass on a lathe.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why?

Probably a super-elite ARFCOM covert-tactical black-ops ninja mission...

Just kidding...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why?

Probably a super-elite ARFCOM covert-tactical black-ops mallninja mission...

Just kidding...

There, i fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be a cartridge, not a bullet, but same thing.

I think I'm just going to have them made out of solid brass on a lathe.

I assume you would just be talking decorative peices then.  I don't think you could make functional brass for a small bottleneck cartridge like .223 Rem that way.  Or if you did it would be probably be incredibly expensive.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top