Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2004 9:57:28 PM EDT
I recently purchased a couple of 20 round magazines from a local gunshop.  They had Brownell's labels on the package with stock #687-015-020.  They have a steel body with polished, black oxide finish made by S.L. SMITH & ASSOCIATES, INC.  They feed ok, except sometimes the bolt won't fully feed the first round out of the mag and the last round never feeds properly.  The bolt is always held back with the last round hanging loose in the receiver.  I was wondering if anyone else has had these problems with this particular manufactures product and if there is anything I could do to get these mags working properly.  I also have 2 USGI mags that function perfectly, so I don't think it is the rifle, or atleast I hope it isn't.  Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.  I am new to AR-15.com, as I have just purchased a DPMS a few weeks ago, and am greatly impressed with the amount of knowledge that I have gained from you guys since joining.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know, as I dont have any 20rd GI mags to compare them too,  I only have 30rd ones.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Just FYI USGI 20 is 4.5 inches at the front 4 inches at the back .
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Kodiak-AK,
I measured them and they are about a 1/4 inch longer on each side, does this mean they may be Promags?  And if so, is this a common problem with these mags and is there any thing I can do to make em feed properly?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got the same problem but with a different brand of 20 rd mags.
The mags are some old Colts with the following stamp on the baseplate:
COLT AR-15
CAL. 5.56 MM
COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. INC.
HARTFORD, CONN. U.S.A.

Also, if I happen to load just one round, it comes loose from under the mag lip and falls loose into the receiver. What's going on?

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Brownells mags are a hit and a miss. I purchased three of their 30rd mag bodies. One worked perfectly, one I sold NIW, and one had excessive flashing on the inside welds that was stopping the follower from feeding properly. Im still trying to get that one to work correctly. Good luck.

PS- From what I have heard, Brownells sells the same mag bodies as CMMG.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks Kodiak-AK,
I measured them and they are about a 1/4 inch longer on each side, does this mean they may be Promags?  And if so, is this a common problem with these mags and is there any thing I can do to make em feed properly?

I'm sorry . I have no clue . The only Non USGI mags I have are Orlites.

gkkuo

Those are the same marks as my USGI 20's . Have your feed lips spread at all maybe?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks Kodiak-AK,

I'm sorry . I have no clue . The only Non USGI mags I have are Orlites.

gkkuo

Those are the same marks as my USGI 20's . Have your feed lips spread at all maybe?

Now that I carefully examined those mags, I'm fairly sure that I need to change out the followers. When there's a single round in the mags, the follower tilts. The round isn't seat correctly under the feed lips. So when I put the mag into the well, the round jars loose.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]
billy_dynamite,
I would first request a refund from the shop where you purchased them.  If that does not work, contact Brownells.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top