Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/13/2003 4:50:08 PM EDT
Ok, here's the deal... I need a midlength carbine to round out the collection. Problem is, no one makes a 1/7" chromelined midlength carbine.

Soooooo... What's the longest length I can cut a bbl down to and use a midlength gas system?

-Thanks!
-Cap'n
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Wouldnt it be nice if someone DID make a mid-length chrome lined?
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure would be.

I just do not understand why companies like Armalite, that supposedly supply rifles to the .gov will not make us civilians 1/7" barrels in midlength. Same goes for Bushy, why 1/9" only on the majority of barrels? Why in the heck can't I get a NON-COLT 1/7" 16" or 20" bbl? What's up with that?

Is it simply because they've both bashed the 1/7" bbls for years to push their own 1/9" bbls, and they don't want to change their position? The facts are out there, heavy bullets ARE the next big thing for defensive and match usage, and some of us want the option to use them.

Also, what's the deal with this? I'd LIKE to see Bushy back this up. Maybe in 1 out of every 5 or 10 guns this is true, but I know NONE of my Bushy's can stabilize the 75 correctly.

"Q. What is the maximum bullet weight that I can fire in my Bushmaster? Can I fire the 65 grain bullet? I've heard people talk about having the barrel specially bored for the 65 grain bullet - is this a necessity?

A. No, you can safely and accurately fire up to a 75 grain bullet in the Bushmaster chrome lined 1 in 9" twist barrel - even an 80 grain can be fired safely but accuracy will suffer."

And then they go on to say that lighter bullets "explode" when being fired from a 1/7". I've shot 45 HP rounds quite a bit through my Colt, and have yet to see this. Accuracy isn't the best but it's still not horrid. O

And Armalite's Position on this?

.223/5.56mm

TWIST RATE:                         1:12                  1:9                   1:8

LIGHTEST BULLET               40                    55                    60

IDEAL BULLET                      2/55               68/69                75

HEAVIEST BULLET              60                     75                   80

Again, do they have proof of this? Can they back these claims up? So, going by this same info, my 1/7" wouldn't stabilize 55 grain ammo? And again, their 1/9" can stabilize the 75 grain? And the 1/9" wouldn't stabilize the 40 grain? Ugh...

Sorry for the rant, but this just irks me to no end.

-Cap'n

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I cut 3 3/4" off a Colt crome lined and it uses the full length gas tube.  When I first did it I had a problem with functioning.  At the same time I went to a CAR stock/buffer sytem.  I also had a new bolt and carrier.  I ended up cutting a couple of coils off the buffer spring.  It works fine to this day.  I think the real problem was the new Mcfarland gas rings I put on the new bolt.  I was always going to try a full CAR buffer spring but what the hey...If the foo shits...
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Halfcocked, that's exactly what i did with my first "Dissy" rifle about 3 years ago. Chopped an FNMI A2 bbl, recrowned, chopped the bayo lug, and... Voila, a perfectly fine Postban Dissy. If it works, it works, hehe.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#5]
When you say exactly do you mean you had to trim your buffer spring too?

Like I said I was always going to replace that CAR buffer spring.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Sure did. It wasn't much though, just a little bit. Worked fine after that. This was using a shortened CavArms lower, w/ a CAR buffer and spring.

-Cap'n
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top