Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2003 10:20:11 AM EDT
Is there any muzzle velocity advantage in having a 24" barrel vs the standard 20" versions. From previous posts, several from Troy, I understand that accuracy is not the issue between a 16" and a 20" but velocity is. I have a 24" Bushmaster V-Match upper but was considering switching to a standard 20" because of size/weight. Will I lose a lot of velocity by losing 4" of barrel or is the powder completely burned and no gain is acheived with the longer barrel? Will losing the free float barrel affect accuracy dramatically?  I already have a 14.5" and 16" barrels for smaller "Fighting" versions of the AR so no posts about the advantages of these lenghts are necessary.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.bushmaster.com/images/faqchart.gif[/img]

From Bushmaster's technical data.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
As the chart tacked up by mr_wilson shows you will loose a bit of velocity.  And as Troy states, it depends on what you want to do with the rifle.

That being said, the only reason I would own a 24" barreled AR15 would be for a dedicated varmint rifle. That length seem to big and heavy for me.  I have a 16" bull barrel scoped and floated AR15 that shoots fabulous.  I also have a 26" barreled bolt ation rifle in 220 Swift that is my long range varmint rig.  A 24" AR15 with the right ammo would be a good compromise.  Since you have two short AR's, keep the 24" as is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top