Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 1:04:23 PM EDT
What is the maximum tolerable weight you would let your 20" AR be?  I just weighed in my 20" at 11.5 lbs.  Granted, I had the Leopold mounted, along with the Larue 12.0 rails, and fulll 30 rd mag.  I haven't tried any other 20" AR's and was wondering if I should try something to reduce weight, like having my Hbar turned, contoured or fluted...?  The rifle doesn't feel that bad to be honest, however, I have yet to carry it for any extended period of time...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is the maximum tolerable weight you would let your 20" AR be?

For what use?

DCM Competition?

Defense/Duty?

Varmint Hunting?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
IMO it has more to do with balance than weight.  if you like how your rifle "hangs" and "swings" leave it alone.  if you take the weight off by turning the barrel who knows how you'll like it.

ETA:  if you take weight off the front it pushes the balance point to the rear.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For what use?

DCM Competition?

Defense/Duty?

Varmint Hunting?

Honestly?  It would be pretty much for all the above, which is why I'm torn...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For what use?

DCM Competition?

Defense/Duty?

Varmint Hunting?

Honestly?  It would be pretty much for all the above, which is why I'm torn...

No way.  You want a heavy 12 lbs rifle for DCM, but for Defensive/Duty use you want something light (and as Stickman pointed out shorter is better).

If I were you I'd definatly have the barrel turned down - it will lower the weight and improve the balance.  You won't be competative in DCM shooting - but then again I don't think a LaRue equipped AR would be legal at the Nationals..
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on the use. My old DCM rifle weighed about 12lbs or so but i usually prefer a govt profile bbl and about 8lbs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Basically, I'm not looking to clear rooms with this weapon, but primarily use it for an all around  long range tool.  Not looking to get into any DCM competitions, but if anything more local competitions.  And I can't hunt with any semi-auto rifles here in Pa, but there is a chance that I may go on an out of state hunting trip.  

I never really considered the weight to be an issue.  I mean the M24 sniper rifle weighs roughly 14.25 lbs, and this rig weighs even less.  However, a good point is how the weight is distributed and the way it is now I really can't complain.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not looking to get into any DCM competitions, but if anything more local competitions.  

NRA Highpower IS a local sport.  Thousands of matches put on by local clubs all round the country (with NRA sanction) every month.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't think a LaRue equipped AR would be legal at the Nationals..

Sure would be at the NRA Nationals, as a match (vice service) rifle.  They even have an optics class at the NRA HP National Championship and the class winner gets to take home a TUBB 2000 Tactical and a Nightforce scope (forget the power).
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:22:46 AM EDT
[#10]
My AR I use for Servic Rifle competition weighs 15 pounds 2 ounces unloaded.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I had mine as high as 18 lbs for the "rattle battle" match.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#12]
a good point is how the weight is distributed and the way it is now I really can't complain.

i think you made up your own mind.  

if it ain't broke don't fix it!  it is easy to get caught up in all of the advice on this site (which alot of it is good), but in the end it has to work for you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I think you need to hook up with someone who has a government profile 20" just to feel the difference.
I was amazed at how much handier my  government profile 20" upper felt compared to a similarly equipped 20" HBAR.  It feels like a lot more than a single pound difference.  
It's all in the barrel length, however, the 1/2 lb difference between my 14.5 HBAR and a M4 profile 14.5 to me, feels like less than a half pound.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top