Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/18/2003 11:58:56 AM EDT
Anyone have a pic they can post of a 20" Ar15 with a (fixed) telescoping buttstock? I know these are very common on the 16 inch carbines and M4s. I just wanted to see how it would look on mine, or if it would be to ridiculous looking.
Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Well it would look kind of silly on a 20 incher to one of us AR nuts.  But to someone who doesn't know anything about them, they would probably think it's "cool".  [:D]  Don't forget, the fixed-telescopic stock has no storage compartment.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#2]
i have a pre ban AR that has a new style CAR stock, i think it helps smooth out the recoil. that long gas system and the long buffer tube make for a long recoil impulse. the shorter stock seems to remove some of that excessive spring noise. besides that, i think it looks cool having a reflex2 on a flat top upper and CAR stock. love that extra velocity of the 20"
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If the stupid AW ban goes away, I actually want to get one or two of those Magpull stocks.

They can be seriously adjustable for length, forget how much but it looks like you can get another inch or so out of the stock over an A2 length if you need it.

For using some optics with seriously long eye relief it can come in handy having the extra stock length.

I would love to put one of the new Magpull stocks on my 20inch AR10 another on my AR15.

Ordinarily I don't like collasping stocks because they don't impress me as being very rigid.   But the new Magpull stock seems to be promising.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried it and had mixed opinions. The shorter stock brought the reciever in. That shifted the weight of the 20" barrel and made it more comfortable. However, a standard 20" upper with a CAR style lower didn't look right. You could make it work though. You could put a SIR or RAS handguard with a vertical grip, on the 20" upper. That would give it the "tactical" look, to match the lower. You could also put either a A1 or entry stock on the lower. That would give you a shorter stock, with a "standard" look to it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been thinking of a setup with a collapsable 20 inch.

Govt barrel
Carbon Fiber handguards
Flat top upper A1 upper (no foreward assist)
One of those new collapsable stocks with a cargo hold
BUIS and an mini ACOG

Im sure it would Look funky, but I think it would be fun to build one after the ban.
It would be light as possible, retain tons of velocity courtesy 20 inch barrel, have a collapsable stock (In case you have to clear a house... >=( and be just really really weird.

Take it dor what its worth!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry I have no way to post pics, but I just tried both my A2 and A1 clone uppers on my M4gey bottom end.  To me, at any rate, both looked rediculous.  Not that they wouldn't work--they just look wierd.

But then I'm a traditionalist[:D]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#7]
...you want wacky?!
[img]http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135a1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#8]
TriggerFish, that is what I call "wacky".  [whacko]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...you want wacky?!
[url]http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135a1.jpg[/url]
View Quote

I, for one, think it looks pretty good.
I believe it was mr_h who sent me a few pictures of his 20" with the telescoping stock and i love those pics as well.... I will probably end up buying one for my 20". Then i will have the choice of "which buttstock do I want to use today?"

Now thats what I call diversity.

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it looks cool too. I havent been into the ar's long enought to think that the only way the telescoping stock looks good is on a 16". It does seem to look better on the 16" but looks good on the 20" also.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#11]
GAYDAR ALRET
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
GAYDAR ALRET
View Quote

[ROFL2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Haven't y'all seen Colt's ACR from the late 1980"s? It was a 20" flat-top with telescoping buttstock, special sighting rib handguards and muzzle jump reducer...it looked WAY COOL!

If you do a Search you can probably see it somewhere...
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I've thought about doing this for several years.  I'm only 5'6" which is no big deal until you throw in day to day body armor.  I think a 4 or 6-pos would work wonders for those of us who are shorter but who still want full length performance.  Everyone makes a big deal about this SPR and that has a 18" barrel plus flash suppressor if not sound suppressor and it has a collapsable stock.  If that look so silly then why does just about everyone clamor over it?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Red Orchestra,

Took this picture today just for you sir.

[url]http://www.cavalryarms.com/CoyoteSOCOM-1.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Much obliged!
Looks very nice.
I've made up my mind.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
...you want wacky?!
[url]http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135a1.jpg[/url]
View Quote

EEEEWWWWW!  And you've got the 4-pos defector!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top