Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 6:11:37 PM EDT
Is there an advantage to curved 20rd mags or is it cosmetic to make them "new" again?

TS
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is there an advantage to curved 20rd mags or is it cosmetic to make them "new" again?

TS

wut do you mean to make them new again?  they take milstandard followers
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
the green follower is the only + . all of my 20s are old school colt's with an aluminum follower. i've only purchased 30's for the last few years. the only benefit i see to the 20 rnd. mag is that it's better for shooting from a bench.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

TS

I have both and they both work fine...IIRC the curved 20's are cheaper to make as they are just shorter 30's. Less re-tooling I guess, but I could be wrong.

FB
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
FB
Trust me, they are not cheaper unless you are using a 30 round die and inserting for a 20. Our 20's are made from a separate progressive die.
Correct. The curved offer the bench shooter a little shorter mag.
After talking with triggerbender please note that when replacing a spring in a straight 20 with our chrome silicon or SS spring that you will need to cut off a minimum of 1 coil. Straight 20' take a shorter spring and our 20 round springs are more powerful due to the slight increase in wire diameter.

CP
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
FB
Trust me, they are not cheaper unless you are using a 30 round die and inserting for a 20. Our 20's are made from a separate progressive die.
Correct. The curved offer the bench shooter a little shorter mag.
After talking with triggerbender please note that when replacing a spring in a straight 20 with our chrome silicon or SS spring that you will need to cut off a minimum of 1 coil. Straight 20' take a shorter spring and our 20 round springs are more powerful due to the slight increase in wire diameter.

CP

tochhc, I bought one of your 20 rounders yesterday and a gun show and intend to test it fully.  I like(d) the fact that you answered all questions and have the customer service that you have.  I just wondered after 40+ years, why the change from straight to curved.  Feed issues, etc or was it just something to make the 20 round magazine seem new again.  That's what I meant...

TS
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually we spoke with many LE personel and they really liked the curved along with the bench shooters. For the most part we have found no problem loading the curved 20 with 20 rounds and it also works with the Generation II Magpul follower. I don't think the Magpul works in the straight without some alterations. I know many like the straight, it was a business decision my partner and I made. But if the demand dictates that we make a straight 20 it is not out of the question.

Larry
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top