Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/26/2003 8:56:39 AM EDT
I was at the range testing the function of a 20 round Colt mag I was given. When I load 20 rounds, any attempt to close the bolt fails, and the cartridge just jams into the receiver without being stripped from the mag. When I remove 2 cartridges (a load of 18), it works fine. Is this the classic reassembly problem they had in the military, i.e. don't remove the follower from the spring? How do I correct it?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:13:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:45:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 5:03:01 PM EDT by mw365]
Well, I opened it up, as you suggested, and I was surprised to find that the spring was installed correctly to the follower. FWIW, I don't see how GIs managed to keep the follower attached when disassembling them; I ended up taking the whole thing apart. I did notice, however, that the bottom 1 1/2 coils are bent, aka, not in line with the other coils. That seems to suggest that the spring is damaged and needs replacement. I have some extras; maybe I should give one a try? Edited tot add: I compared the old spring to a new one; it's definitely damaged, so I replaced it. I also noticed a very small dent in one of the feed lips. If the lips were damaged, it wouldn't go at all with any reliability, right?
Top Top