Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/13/2003 1:12:00 PM EDT
Have an original 20 rnd colt mag that will only hold 5 rnds,what gives?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:41:35 PM EDT
Take it apart and see what is wrong!
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:45:00 PM EDT
It may have a 5-round block in it, I had 2 that did. Shaped like a U inside of the mag. Danny
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:19:32 PM EDT
If you want to use the full 20 rounds, just take off the base plate and pull out the mag block. Some people will actually pay more for the Colt 20 rounders with the 5 round block in them. From time to time, you will WTB ads for these mag blocks. It makes the 20rders legal for hunting. Keep the mag block or sell it. Booker
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:56:24 PM EDT
Yep it had the Horse shoe looking thing in it. thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:19:20 PM EDT
I have two as well that came new with my pre-ban Colt. ( I live in NY, so there is no sunset provsion.) They appear to be a normal 20 in every way, except they appear to have a small "rivet" in the floorplate. I can't seem to get the floorplate off, but I can see the U shaped metal in it that limits it to 5 rounds. Do I actually have post ban mags?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:24:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 45cqb: I have two as well that came new with my pre-ban Colt. ( I live in NY, so there is no sunset provsion.) They appear to be a normal 20 in every way, except they appear to have a small "rivet" in the floorplate. I can't seem to get the floorplate off, but I can see the U shaped metal in it that limits it to 5 rounds. Do I actually have post ban mags?
View Quote
No, these are surely pre-ban mags, since there shouldn't be dates or LE stamps on them. Colt used to ship their Sporter rifles with two 20 round mags with the U shaped metal inside to limit the magazine capacity. If you break off the small aluminum rivet on the floorplate and take out the limiter, you will have perfect 20 round pre-ban magazines. Obviously if you can do that legally in your neck of the woods...
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:44:12 PM EDT
Don't "break off the rivet" as Heavy59 suggests, why damage your mag by forcing anything. Just take a 1/8" drill and carefully drill off the head of the rivet. It will then easily pop right out allowing you to disassemble the floorplate.
Top Top