Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2003 7:10:04 AM EDT
I have a few tired looking 20rd mags and I have been look at this to refurb them.

this is off the CDNN wed site.

anybody try these? issues?
thanks
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#1]
If these are functional USGI 20 round magazines with the alloy follower leave them alone.  If the combat veteran look doesn't appeal to you use solid film lubricant on the exterior.  Sold commercially as PermaSilk-G.  But don't mess with the followers if you can avoid it.

Misassembly of the follower/spring/body will convert these into 18 round magazines.  Ever wonder where the 18 round in a 20 came from?  From guys dicking with the followers!

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Chuck,

If that is you in your avatar, it seems that you would know what your talking about.

I like the "tired Vet" look of the mags, it is the follower that I am worried about. I have 5 20rd mags and the alum follower has a good sized groove on the top of them.

No mis-feeding as of yet. I guess I will just leave it until I get problems

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The photo doesn't do me justice, but I was a dashing young Infantry 1LT when this was taken at LZ Oasis (RVN).  The weapon is an XM177E1 submachinegun.  The uniform is "trees."

Once we discovered the magazine follower problem -- troopers would remove the spring from the follower and put it back on wrong -- and we started getting clipped (rather than boxed) 5.56mm ammo we loaded 20 round magazines with 20 rounds and never had any problems.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
You can find aluminum 20rd followers at:
[url]http://www.johnmasen.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Misassembly of the follower/spring/body will convert these into 18 round magazines.  Ever wonder where the 18 round in a 20 came from?  From guys dicking with the followers!

-- Chuck
View Quote

I have a refurbished 20rd mag that I bought from CMMG with the green follower that will only take 18 rounds.  When I called and asked them about it the person I spoke to suggested I cut off some of the spring.  I don't suppose you know what I could do to fix this problem besides clipping the spring do you?

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-- Chuck
View Quote

I have a refurbished 20rd mag that I bought from CMMG with the green follower that will only take 18 rounds.  When I called and asked them about it the person I spoke to suggested I cut off some of the spring.  I don't suppose you know what I could do to fix this problem besides clipping the spring do you?

View Quote

i think clipping some off the bottom of the follower is the solution.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe you should just cut a little off the bottom of the magazine to make it 18 round length. Problem Solved!!
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top