Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2005 3:52:40 PM EDT
What are some reliable 20 round (straight) mags. I just ordered a Colt but are there any other mfg's that made good 20's?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
NHMTG makes some really good (exact same pattern) 20rders that can usually be found for $15 that are really good. They have the modern dry-film lube on them.

Universal-marked 20rd mags are good because they actually made them for Colt back in the day, and everyone knows how good those are.

USGI 20rders, from most every maufacturer, are known to be the most reliable mags ever made for the AR15/M16 rifle.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
USGI 20s are my favorite! A reliable supply of NHMTG 20s can be found at this link:

Eagle Firearms dot net
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
USGI 20s are my favorite! A reliable supply of NHMTG 20s can be found at this link:

Eagle Firearms dot net

I ordered a dozen from Eagle last Wednesday, it took one week for them to be delivered to MD from CO. Not bad since I ordered them late on Wednesday afternoon.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info!
I want a few 20 rounders to go with my old style 20 round per pocket bandolier. Do the 20's need the new green followers installed?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I found some "almost new" Adventure line 20s at a show for $15 each.

I bought 6 of them and they all run great, they even had the aluminum follower
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info!
I want a few 20 rounders to go with my old style 20 round per pocket bandolier. Do the 20's need the new green followers installed?

Don't use the short green follower, they suck. I bought a buch of them and I had nothing but problems.  

Leave what ever follower they came with. If you can find them on the EE, look for the aluminum followers
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Are the new production NHMTG 20 rounders reliable as is with the followers they come with? Or does one need to replace them with the old style aluminum followers?

My experience with 20's has been superb and they are my favorite mags. But all of the ones I have used are GI surplus with aluminum followers.

Since those worked so well, why did they ever start using freaking plastic anyway? And last but not least, is there any business that sells these? I imagine they are pretty hard to find unless by some chance someone is actually producing new ones (doubtful).
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The plastic ones that come with the NHMTG mags seem to be pretty reliable, but I swapped them out with USGI followers that I got at a gunshow for $.10 apiece.

I'm willing to bet the reason they switched to plastic is because of their bottom line. $$$$$$$

Plastic had to have been cheaper than aluminum.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 on the USGI's with the alloy followers, a while back I picked up a 7 NIB on the EE

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
+1 on the USGI's with the alloy followers, a while back I picked up a 7 NIB on the EE
img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Brian_in_Pullman/Guns/mags.jpg

If you can get your hands on those Adventure Lines, especially the un-issued ones like pictured do NOT pass them by!

I got three boxes 2 weeks ago for $65/ea.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#11]
i have had great results with colts, adventurelines, and simmons

i love the 20's with the alloy follower
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i have had great results with colts, adventurelines, and simmons

i love the 20's with the alloy follower

yes!  they are great!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I found some old USGI 20's today, a whole box of them with the aluminum followers that were brand new/un-issued. The guy was wanting $20 a pop for them though.
Is that a good price or not?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I found some old USGI 20's today, a whole box of them with the aluminum followers that were brand new/un-issued. The guy was wanting $20 a pop for them though.

Not the BEST, but you're definitely not getting ripped off.

If you have the $$$ laying around, I'd say buy them.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:40:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not the BEST, but you're definitely not getting ripped off.

If you have the $$$ laying around, I'd say buy them.

WIZZO

if they have never been loaded thats fair price.  i would try and talk it down if your buying a bunch of them

package deal
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#16]
The reliability if straught 20's is urban legend in my humble opinion. There the only mags Ive ever had problems with (G.I. issue).
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The reliability if straught 20's is urban legend in my humble opinion. There the only mags Ive ever had problems with (G.I. issue).

Well, of the 10 I have (and the 3 or 4 my brother has) we've had the opposite experience.

I love the 30's, but the straight 20's always work.

YMMV

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know how good they are But CDNN has the 20 rounders for 8.99, parkerized w/green followers
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top