Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2003 4:44:03 AM EDT
Let me 1st say that I am new to AR's and this was the 1st time I took my AR out to the range to really see what it could do accuracy wise. This was shooting using a bipod and a tasco scope. I put a target out at 100 yds. and started sighting in the scope. When I felt that it was sighted in pretty well I put a Birchwood-Casey impact target on the stand lined up the crosshairs on the 10 and blam! dead center. I was very pleased. My second shot, blam! checked the target and could not see any impact. I gave it a "wtf" I didn't even hit the target. My third shot, blam! again no mark on the target. I thought something is wrong here. When I had the chance I went out and checked the target. The reason I couldn't tell if I was hitting the target was that all 3 shots were in the same hole! I know 100 yds. is not that great of a distance but I was impressed that the rifle could do that.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:00:10 AM EDT
[#1]
So, where did the next three shots go?

Everyone will want to know rifle make and model and the kind of ammo you were using.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Another 1st for me too!

Mid June I order my chrome line M4 16" upper from Rock River.  1-2 weeks later I order their lower with NM trigger.  Mean while I pick up 5 30-round mags, several cases of Federal XM193, an HST and a 3-point sling.  I do lots of research on which optic to purchase.  On Monday this week I settle on and order my compact 47-2 (2x amber triangle) ACOG.  Somebody was smiling on me because it all came on Thursday.  I inspect same.  It's beautiful and in great shape.  Assemple it, fondling included.  Then yesterday, with a day off, I head to the range at dawn before it gets too hot and proceed to first check the sites a 25 then 50 yards.  

I then back off to 200 meter and site both the ACOG and open sites per the Santose method.  My 45 yr old eyes are not the best any more but I was able to group 3" with the 0 MOA aimping point of the ACOG and knock a soda can off the top of the target once fully sighted in.  Open site groups were akin to 10",  good enough for this Army retiree's eyes.

Next I go to 100 meters, not yards, and proceed to test 4 different types of ammo in 15 shot groups.  The XM193 all goes into 3", the Win Q3131A is really nice with 15 staying in 2-1/8".  

Next come the heiver stuff.  Win 64-gr Power Point is a wash at 4-1/2".  Sufficient to drop a deer to feed my family if necessary but the treat was the Federal Gold Medal 69-gr loaded w/ the Sierra MatchKing BTHP.  All 15 rounds in a nice 2" cluster.  

Some might say, 2", that's nothing.  Even my 2x8 Balvar scope mounted on my old .222 would go 1/4" with the right handloads, but for a brand new rifle with only a 2x scope, that's Good Stuff to me!

Not a jam one too!  Next, I save my pennies for a Surefire light.

The RR NM 2-stage trigger is incredibly sweet.

Big Al
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a preban Olympic arms lower and a DPMS free float upper with rail system, trimount mounting rail for the scope, 20" match barrel, 1/9 twist. Stock trigger. I was using a Harris bipod. The ammo was 62 gr. Bosnian black tip. Well, as far as the next 3 shots goes I left after shooting that group. I guess I wanted to leave on a happy note. Like I said I am new to AR's and it was my 1st time out (beginner's luck maybe?) but I was very happy with the performance of the rifle. I am taking it out again tomorrow and hopefully I will have a similiar experience.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#4]
We need to get you to a prarie dog town!

I can't shoot that well - my eyeballs aren't as good as yours!

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Shoot a prairie dog? They are just too darn cute!:) But then again I am from Kentucky and we don't have prairie dogs (except maybe in western ky.) so I don't know what I am talking about. We have lots of squirrels and my wife's aunts from Okinawa thought they were cute. Tree rats more like it. I would probably very much enjoy prairie dog hunting though. They are considered a pest out west aren't they?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Prarie dogs will ruin a field, and they leave lots of holes for cows to step into.

The AR rules in a dog-town!

They'll stand up to look around, and a 45gr JHP knocks them out of their holes!

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you have a shooter....Good work!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#8]
i shoot ground hogs!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top