Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 10:44:40 AM EDT
As you can see from the login name I want a AR 15. I am in the process of attending classes, researching and  comapring models/prices, and I am hoping that within a few days I will be purchasing one. This will be my first rifle, so I would like the opinions of real people who use and appreciate these guns and not the guy behind the counter, which is why I am posting this topic. I realize that most of the things that marry people to a gun is subjective such as the fell of a weapon, but I was hoping to get your opinons on the various models you have tried, do's and don'ts relating to accessories, feel and balance, etc. Any information will be helpful to me. Thanks in advance!!

Alex from Houston  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Our first question to you - what is your inteded use for the rifle?  What is your budget?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the 16" barrel because it balances better for me and is quick into action. I use mine for bunny blasting and plinking, but do have training on MOUT situations and would use it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I am hoping to limit myself at 1500 to 1700 dollars and I plan to use it for long distance shooting.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I will thro my 2 cents in here for ya. I currently own a ar i got from www.cmmginc.com and i love it. It is a DPMS and i have never had any problems with it to date. I used to own a preban colt CAR and i had a lot of problems with it. there are a lot of COLT purists out there but go with what you can afford and waht you like.The gun on there home page is essentially what mine looks like without the can. LIke i said i love mine and the quality is excellent,fit n finish  is awsome. I would go with a A3 flat top upper for the versatility and a possible forward rail system, i have the GG&G on mine and love it with a tango down vertical grip and an EOTECH on top. All my other guns are getting neglected since i got this lol. Mine has the miculek brake on it, awsome as far as the reciol etc go but it is loud as all get out. Check out there webpage or give john n jeff a call, they are great fellas to deal with and will help you out as mcuh as possible im sure.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#5]
for me a BUSHMASTER xm-15 A2 w/ a 16in bbl suited me for reanges up to 300+yrds
i got one of the pre-bans, so i got the trapdoor stocks, and i like it--good balance, steady, and accurate enough for me, and more compact than the 20in, but better velocity than the 14.5in bbl

eventually, i'm going to get a bushy 14.5 in w/ a FH and CAR stock for CQB and close range(100yrds and in)

longe range, i went w/ a remington 700P in .308
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#6]
For 1500 to 1700 you could afford a Wilson Combat custom.   Personally I think if you hunt around, you can find a Bushmaster M4 for less than a 1000.   Try www.impactguns.com
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#7]
If your using it for long range only then a 24" varmint type setup would be good and +1 on the price limit. You can get a nice varmint upper for around $1000 I think and therefore would have $500-700 for the lower and a scope.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As you can see from the login name I want a AR 15.

No matter when you get your AR that name will apply to something regarding AR15's.  $0.02
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#9]
A BIG thanks to all that have replied. I appreciate the help. Quick question, can I get the gun fully accessorized for the 1500 to 1700 I mentioned earlier. If so, it is better to deal directly with the manufacturer to install/cusomizethe rifle?  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Depends on the accessories you want. Lots of free floating handgards need to have the front sight base removed to install, on a long range weapon, you don't need the standard front sight base and can have a gas block only installed and install the FFH yourself. Honestly with that kind of budget you should be able to build or order a really good rifle. The only issue is the optics.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Dan, your right. Seems anytime I get a new toy there is always another around the corner I want. I'm sure that applies to most of us!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Aj - Thanks. I am currently researching my optic options as you mention. I plan on driving to Pasedena, TX this weekend because they are holding a gun show there. I hope to get some hands on experience with some of the optics available.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am hoping to limit myself at 1500 to 1700 dollars and I plan to use it for long distance shooting.

Since you didn't mention competiton I'll assume you're looking for something for varmints or targets.

You might want to look at the Bushy 24" Varmint rig or the Rock River Arms 24".

The extra barrel length will keep the velocity up (which is nice for long distance shooting).  The Bushy Varmint rifle has a free floated barrel (again for accuracy), and the barrel is fluted for lighter weight.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]
TTT
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#15]
RRA, Bushmaster, DPMS they all have good varment rifles. Thats what I would get for long range, dont get a CAR or M4 for distance, thats just gay.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
DM, Not trying to be gay, but I was wondering why not a Carb or M4?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I own an M4 myself but for long range you want something with a longer barrel to give you the velocity you need to stabilize the round out at longer distances.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I own a DPMS 24" varminter and it is so accurate it scares me.  My M4 is an LMT with a DPMS lower and collapsible 6 position stock.  Both kick ass.  I love my LMT.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I would like to get a varment rifle someday but I only shoot distance for my job anymore, if I go to the range for myself it is to just waste bullets and kill paper targets or plywoodians....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I forgot to mention that my DPMS is more of a frankenstein gun now.  CMT upper, DPMS barrel, Fulton Armory handguards, ACE stock, ergo grips, and DPMS Bolt/Carrier.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#22]
DPMS makes a high quality CMP rifle. I know alot of folks think they suck but I think they are good. But then again, what do I know
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top