Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2003 6:59:44 PM EDT
I'll be picking up my first AR-15 tomorrow. I settled on a Bushmaster XM15-E2S, 16" M-4 (!) profile barrel, no muzzle brake, fixed A2 sights and A2 stock. Price: $799 + tax.

I'll also be picking up a case (840 rds.) of M193 for $199 + tax.

Now I'm in the market for some USGI 20 and 30 rd. mags and a good cleaning kit, and I figure I'm good to go.

Any suggestions from you experts to an AR15  newbie?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Ammo is overpriced, back away from the ammo!

Check out Sportsmansguide.com for xm193... 1,000 rounds for less than that!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope this isn't redundant, you haven't mentioned how many firearms you've owned, so I'll assume none in some of the below comments:

One suggestion is to use some of our ammo vendors that advertise here -- on http://www.ammoman.com, both lake city and Q131A 55gr. XM193 is $199 for 1,000 rounds and shipping is free.  You'll need lots of ammo!

Read up on the improved battlesight zero, for a carbine like you have, it's the best way to get set up.  There are other methods worth checking out -- finding a bullet drop chart for the 55gr ammo is possible and it helps explain why you hit where you hit at certain ranges.

Third, I'm not sure who sells a good cleaning 'kit', I'd recommend a Dewey Rod and bore guide, a chamber brush and rod, lots of 22 caliber patches, and a few bronze .22 brushes.  Opinions on fluids for cleaning will vary greatly.

Fourth, clean it before you shoot.  Shipping grease and factory guk is in place and doesn't allow the system to work as freely as it should at times.

Fifth, the equipment exchange is your best place for a quantity of mags.  A few emails should get you as many as you want of each.

I'm sure you'll get much more advice.  Enjoy.

-Dan

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
as far as mags get GI ones, do not get cheap USA mags.

get 2 cleaning kits, I would get a GI cleaning kit and then the OTIS cleaning kit for buttstock or pistol grip.

AMmo deals are to be had, check around, if ya mail order ammo, look at the shipping rates some ppl charge alot and some companies send it RED labeled which means if your name is on package YOU have to sign (this can be put some ppl out)
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#4]
    - find new place to buy ammo

- get mags, lots of mags(from the EE)

- cleaning supplies(breakfree CLP)

- save money, lots of money(will be
      buying many accessories and other
      firearms, just wait you'll see [:D])

Besides that, nice gun and have fun with it!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The equipment exchange has the best deals on mags, always get USGI mags.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the Royal Ordanance mags are very nice.  You can get 5 brand new ones for $80 shipped from ammoman.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

this man has caught the correct!
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:29:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys. I've got ammoman.com bookmarked on my desktop, so I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:43:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Greets & Welcome A2!

Enjoy that new Bushmaster!

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:13:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure you will like the new Bushy.  My first comments to myself when I read the ammo price was that its too much for M193.  Especially for 840 rounds.  You can get 1000 rounds much cheaper than that; like others have said.  Check the EE for some USGI mags.  There is always plenty to choose from.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Congrats on your new bushy A2, I just purchased one a few weeks ago, it was $889+tax.
I have 10 USGI 30rd Mags now, also 9  20rd & 1 10rd mags for my new bushy.
Im waiting on a postban muzzle brake, local gun smith with lath & thread my barrel for $30.
These guys here have been most helpful & give sound advice.
I have already ran 1060rds, through my new bushy, it was great, no function problem  what so ever, all mags working great as well.
I  purchased a USGI cleaning kit, it fit in the buttstock, also Im waitng on a tactical sling.

Look forward to your range  report. [:)]

TG

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top