Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2015 10:21:01 AM EDT
I have been reading a lot about bullet grain vs twist rate.
I don't have the rifle yet but I do want to start buying ammo.
Will say a 40 grain  or  55 grain bullet be as accurate as a 75 grain bullet coming from a  1-in-7 twist rate chrome line barrel?

Also where are your online ammo sources? -Best priced , best quality?

I did try out Freedom Munitions online. The first order with them has free shipping so it really is a great deal for your first order.  I bought 100 round of 9mm and 100 rounds of .40 S&W for around 45.00 total.

Any other places to get say 500 rounds of 5.56 x 54 or .223?

Thanks in advance!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#1]
SGAmmo and 55-77 grain.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll let the experts speak here better than me, but my experience is to test a bunch of different types in each rifle and see what it likes best. In other words, I don't know if I'd stock before knowing what your rifle likes.

Case in point, I have a Noveske build with a 1/7 twist 16" barrel that just LOVES 50g .223 varmint rounds. I didn't see that one coming.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have been reading a lot about bullet grain vs twist rate.
I don't have the rifle yet but I do want to start buying ammo.
Will say a 40 grain  or  55 grain bullet be as accurate as a 75 grain bullet coming from a  1-in-7 twist rate chrome line barrel?
View Quote

I had this same question when I was building my PSA. Everyone I talked to said they had no problem running 55gr. I cant say anything about 40gr. When I took my PSA in to sight it i saw zero difference in accuracy with 69gr and 55gr. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

They ship fast also.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Great information!!! Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I like this site for comparing prices

http://ammoseek.com/
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Every barrel will handle ammo differently. Like some of the above replies suggest, buy a bunch of different brands/grains and see what your rifle likes to chew up and spit out. I have a Daniel Defense CHF 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel which shoots cheap Wolf Gold 55gr really well and is lights out with SSA 69gr.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Generally, heavier bullets are more accurate in faster twist barrels like a 1:7.  The lighter bullets may be overstabilized and not be very accurate.  

For example, 77gr SMK's require 1:7 or 1:8 twist barrels.  1:8 seems to be the best all around twist if you want to shoot the heavy and light stuff.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had 52's and 55's show stellar accuracy in 1/7 barrels.  At 100 yards.  Maybe even better than some of the heavier stuff out of my 1/7's.  Some say the heavier bullets, you see the benefits at longer distances with the size of groups.  So yeah, at 100 yards, I think the best load going is 52 grain BTHP, Black Hills.  But they will not carry as far and buck the wind as good as the heavier bullets for longer distance shooting.  

Plus, as someone said earlier, you have to shoot a bunch and see what your barrel likes.  

Because if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times.  

EVERY BARREL IS PREJUDICED.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They ship fast also.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hey be nice to the newguy. PSA takes about a month to ship. Slowest company and worst customer service. Its not worth the cheap prices for the cheap parts.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hey be nice to the newguy. PSA takes about a month to ship. Slowest company and worst customer service. Its not worth the cheap prices for the cheap parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I ordered. VZ 2008 last week. They shipped it the next day. I think the slow shipping is AR related gear.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I ordered. VZ 2008 last week. They shipped it the next day. I think the slow shipping is AR related gear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered a Bushnell AR Optic March 9th, they promptly shipped it on March 17th.  I think your case is more of the exception than the rule.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Does anyone know if there are any threads or resources that compare how barrels of the same length (16") with 1:7, 1:8 and 1:9 twist rates perform when shooting 55 gr. vs. 62 gr. (Federal XM193 & Federal XM855) at a fixed distance?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had excellent results with 52s-77s. I tend to shoot those two weights the most.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I also have had excellent results from a 16" 1-7 barrel with XM193 ammo. This shoot was 30 rounds with a 2 second interval between shots at 200 yards from a bipod. AR was a 16" Green Mountain 1-7 barrel, Nikon 4-12-40mm scope and a Hiperfire competition trigger.

Vince
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had good luck with 62gr+

Out of a "couple" 1:7 twist guns I have had 2-3 that did not like 55gr. Armalite, PSA and a Olympic. The groups were a little bigger than they should have been at 100 and the Armi would keyhole.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top