Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2005 10:07:40 AM EDT
After reading and posting in a thread about a colt a2 govt 1/7 some of the guys we're saying, it's kind of collectable.  And I have one.  I figured if I ever shot the barrel out I'd just swap a new one.  Now after looking on fulton armory, bushmaster, and armalite, I'm realizing that 1/7 barrels are NOT that common.  Holy crap.  I would think they'd be all over the place because I thought it was the profile of what the government uses.  Are these things not that easy to find????  Should I get a new upper / barrel combo if I'm going to shoot the crap out of it?  I have about 1,000 rounds through it and I got it used.  I've been itching to have a reason to have something different but the thing is pretty nice as it is.  And I don't like spending money frivoulisly.  

So I've got several dillemma's going on here. #1 If I make 77 or 75 grains my go to round and stock up on it, if I ever have to swap the barrel I may be stuck with a barrel that will not stabalize these rounds.
#2. If I shoot the crap out of my 1/7 or if I set aside, it's useless anyways so why not just shoot the crap out of it?
or #3 Am I just worrying about nothing and these barrels are available.  

I know there's 1/8 barrels but some of them don't have nato chambers.  Or I know I could probably get one but it'd be at a premium price.
What's everybody's philosphy on this?????????  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Now after looking on fulton armory, bushmaster, and armalite, I'm realizing that 1/7 barrels are NOT that common.

I ordered a 1/7 from Bushmaster in January and it arrived in about five business days.  That was after they told me it could be as long as twelve weeks to get.  It was a little over $200, but I don't recall the exact price.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Shoot it.  1:7 twist barrels are becoming the standard these days.  You have a good barrel there so shoot it and enjoy it.  I never understood people that want to save or collect ARs

To each his own I guess but if it was my barrel I'd shoot the snot out of it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#3]
No offense, but you worry way too much.

I'd shoot the heck out of it.

BTW.  CMMG sells 1/7  chrome lined, mil-spec barrels.  If you are really worried about a barrel shortage, then buy a spare now, so you will have it for emergencies in the future.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
#3 Am I just worrying about nothing and these barrels are available.  

1/7 is now the MilSpec, and now becoming the Industry standard for the civie market . The manufacture'rs are going making more 1/7's than 1/9's .

I know there's 1/8 barrels but some of them don't have nato chambers.  

Most 1/8's are SS barrels, and except for SPRs, aren't intended for Mil. use.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#5]
My two oldest ARs are 1991 era Colt 6601 HBARs with 1/7ROT barrels. One of them has had 16k rounds through it and the other has had 17k rounds. I can't detect a loss of accuracy with either one, and the headspace on both is fine.

In other words, it will be a while before you have to worry about a barrel swap. I have replacement barrels ready for both rifles, but they are currently gathering dust in the ammo locker.

One of my range buddies estimates that he has over 25k rounds through his registered M-16, and his shoots just fine as well

Don't worry about it-shoot the snot out of it and enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, I feel much better now.  Thank you.  It appears you CAN get 1/7's from bushmaster, if I really need to.  Maybe I'll get one for reserve!  Fire away!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

1/7 is now the MilSpec, and now becoming the Industry standard for the civie market .

Will Bushmaster ever make the switch to a 1 in 7 twist as standard
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

1/7 is now the MilSpec, and now becoming the Industry standard for the civie market .

On what facts is this part of your statement based?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On what facts is this part of your statement based?  Just curious.

I'd like to know, too...which manufacturers are you hearing this from? The 1:7's are available, but the internet I search shows me way more 1:9's  - standard twist rate for everybody it seems, except the almighty Colt...also what Troy said above makes the most sense to me. I don't think the 1:9 is going to stop being the "civilian" standard anytime soon, plus if you ain't shooting bullets over about 70 grains the "1:7/1:9 which is better" argument doesn't matter anyway.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my 1/7 from bushmaster last week and I already put about 800rds on it. They said it would be about 6-8wks before I got it,... but I ended up getting it in less then 1 week. My saying is, dont  matter what you got,...go put some holes on a target,its better then yoga!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
shoot it already.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top