Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 5:06:30 PM EDT
I've got an itch to build a SAM-R type rifle. I want to use an HBAR barrel, but don't want to shell out the big bucks for a Krieger or similar top of the line barrel. Most of the ammo I plan to feed it would be cheap plinking type ammo, with the occasional range trip with heavier match type ammo to remind myself what its really capable of (I'm a poor college student, I can't afford a steady diet of premium ammo). Basically, 90% of the time I would'nt be able to tell the difference between a standard barrel and a match one because of the ammo I'm running through it. Maybe in a year when I earn my commission, but not quite yet. Can anybody recommend a barrel that will stabilize the heavier match type bullets, but won't cost a quarter of my tuition for the semester? The closest I've been able to find is one of the RRA stainless barrels ($225 from ADCO). Anybody got any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Get an RRA stainless barrel with a 1/8 twist.  It does everything the 1/7 does and everything the 1/9 does, for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#2]
+1

IIRC, which I doubt I do, I thought the IDEAL twist for 75 or 77gr bullets was 1/7.7 exactly.

In theory the 1/8 might be your best bet.

WIZZO

BTW, don't take my word for gospel. I'm grasping at straws from my sketchy memory here.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a White Oak service rifle barrel From ADCO. Its a 1/7 twist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top