Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 7:46:29 PM EDT
Hello All,

I've got a Burris MTAC 1-4x scope, and really  like it, but am thinking of going to a 1-6x scope.  How do the 1-6x scopes compare to the 1-4x scopes at 1x magnification.  I just did an advanced carbine course - distances were short range to 50 yards - and had the MTAC at 1x the whole day -  and it was just like using the Aimpoint that I used in  a similar course last year, and was very impressed.   Anyway, I don't want to lose that close up capability and ease of use by going to a 1-6x scope.   What are your experiences at 1x with a 1-4x scope and then the 1-6x scope?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
My SS 1-6 was better on 1x than my buddies nikon 1-4 M223. But that's a $1000 scope compared to a $200 one so I'm not sure how helpful that is.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
You loose a little eyebox, so consistent cheek weld helps.  Its a fairly minor difference, and Im not any slower or hindered in any way with the 1-6.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#3]
What 1-6x are you interested in? They range from anywhere from $200 to over $2000. There is a huge difference.

I had a Meopta K-dot 1-4x for about 5 years which I recently replaced with a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x. I also have a MTAC 1-4x in my possession as well.

The MTAC while a good optic, is a few steps behind my Meopta, which is a few steps behind the Razor.

With all 3 scopes on 1x, the MTAC had the most fishbowl effect, about .1x more magnification, and narrowest FOV. I'm personally not a fan of the thick donut reticle for 500+ yards shooting on small targets.

Also, Primary Arms has a 15% off sale going on right now, you can get a killer deal.

Here's a review I posted between the Meopta and Razor.

Quoted:
Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6x24

It replaced my Meopta K-dot 1-4x22, which isn't a slouch by any means.

Pros:
Larger FOV
Larger Eyebox
More magnification (duh)
Low profile knobs, works fine w/ or w/o covers and easy to dial
Shorter (not an issue for me, but some people like shorter optics)

Cons:
Double the price
Heavier
No sunshade (the K-dot has a built in sunshade, which is why it's so long
Magnification ring is quite stiff
Large occular may limit some mounting options.

Similarities:
Outstanding glass
Daylight bright reticles (although I'll give the edge to the K-dot, due to the larger reticle)
Off position between each brightness setting
.5 MOA adjustments
SFP reticles

Notables:
I prefer the thinner JM-1 reticle on the Razor. Personal preference.
Razor eye relief is about an inch longer. You may need a different mount depending on current equipment

Vortex:

Meopta

View Quote

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top