Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/13/2013 1:51:03 PM EST
I am looking to put a 1-4 power scope on my Smith and Wesson M&P15 MOE Mid (16"). I have multiple questions that cant be answered by either of my local gun shops so I decided to ask them on here. I have done a lot of research on different scopes and have narrowed my search down to Leupold Mark AR MOD 1, Nikon M-223, and Burris Tac30 (in order of preference). I like the Leupold and Nikon's reticle over the Burris' and am not real interested in the illuminated reticle of the Tac30. Can anyone give me the Pros and Cons of these scopes, or even compare them. I am open to suggestions as well.

My next question is mounts for the scope. I am interested in the Burris P.E.P.R. mount with the Quick Detachment option. My price range for a mount is around $100. Does anyone have any suggestions for mounts in that price range that rival the Burris? This leads me to my next question.

My final, and most confusing, question topic is whether or not the fixed front sight post on my AR will interfere with the sight picture through the scope. I know that anything past 2.5 or so you cant see it but does it bother anyone at 1 power? Furthermore, will the Burris P.E.P.R. be a good mount for my setup? Meaning is it high enough of a mount where it won't be interfered with by the FSP? And what specs do you need to look for in a mount when you have a fixed FSP? With all this being said, I am not interested in removing the fixed FPS and adding a gas block flip up sight setup.

I have tried to look up these questions in the archives and all over the Internet but can't find a straight forward answer that applies to my setup. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. This is my first AR and am still learning about them, much thanks to all of you guys! Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:41:37 AM EST
Tay, I can only comment on the Nikon M-223 1-4 Point Blank Reticle. I do some freelance work for Nikon in the interest of full disclosure. That being said, I was using this scope belfore I started doing some work for Nikon. The Point Blank Reticle makes getting on target a snap. Zero at 100 yards and you are within 1-5 inches at 200. I've used this scope for pig hunting in Tx. and carbine competition's in Tx. 25 yardsor 200 yards, getting hits is what this scope is all about. It is built on the MONARCH platform so the glass is excellent, very clear and well built scope backed by Nikon's outstanding warranty. I also use Nikon's M-Series 1 oiece AR Mount for a solid lock up. Under your $100 max price for a mount. I have used this set up on DPMS Tac-2 rifle and I did not notice the post after 1.5X. Very slightly even at 1 X . I hope this info helps?

Nikon M-223 1-4 Point Blank Reticle
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:59:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/14/2013 10:02:31 AM EST by Chrome308]
On the couch the front post is very annoying. In use at the range the ghosted fuzzy front sight is the last thing on my mind, a non issue.

That mount is a fine choice, but no it wont elevate the optic above the sight (a too-high optic is a worse problem than a little ghost image anyway).

Look at the aero precision mount.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:08:09 PM EST
Meopta K Dot would be a great choice for you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:52:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2013 3:56:59 AM EST by MS556]
Leupold Mark AR in LaRue LT-104 one piece QD cantilever mount. That way you can swap out with a red dot or higher power scope if so inclined. Or if the scope should get damaged from impact in a fall you can quickly remove it and use your backup sights. Very precise and repeatable return to zero. A bit more than you budgeted for a mount, but worth saving up for.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:49:39 PM EST
With the Burris PEPR mount you will see the top of the sight at 1x power. As you go to a higher power it will disappear
Top Top