User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2012 6:53:02 PM EDT
Hello all
I saved this one from a gun shop.
The lower receiver is the only original part. The others are from 1974 to present.
My goal is original parts. Then have the butt stock engraved with the dates my uncle & brother was in Vietnam.
Then on the other side put coins in for branchs of service.
So I can list all of us. Uncle (Navy) Me & oldies brother (Army) the other two brothers (Air force).
My daughter loves to shoot and it will mean the word to her so therefore she will pass it on down.

It would be great to have some help getting it right.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#1]
i've got a few 65s.  you can email me with any questions on any specific parts.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#8]
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s557/Trailrider843/20121019_212212_zps21d32a01.jpg

I know the barrel is of the wrong year. I'm saving up for the right one.

Have found a great guy to help on the barrel and some of the other parts that are on it.

I do have the wide lock washer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Doesn't look like much isn't correct.  Nice buffer and tube.  Lots of dimples.  Personally wouldn't let a small thing like a CMP Chrome Bore barrel slow me down.  Probably shoot better than what you're gonna replace it with also.  Thanks for sharing pics.  Personally I'd swap out the buffer,  tube and firing pin and stash those away and run current production pieces.  They really are better and worth much less.  Those early buffers are bringing $225 plus,  early tubes are bringing $100 plus and big firing pins $100 plus.  That's what most the true retro shooters do and have done for quite some time now!  Those parts are also kinda hard to replace when worn out or damaged.  If a magnet sticks to that gas tube it could bring as much as the edgewater,  if not it's closer to the firing pin.  Think I'd stash that also.  The carbon steel (magnet sticks to it) tubes were associated with problems over time and use.

Finding a real nice VMP barrel assembly in great shooting condition is gonna be a task even for $400 plus.. Finding a well worn potential piece of junk will still be a tough dig at $300 plus.  See a lot more junk than the real good ones also.

Granted nothing wrong with having the correct pieces but regardless it's never going to be original again unless the truth is stretched a bit.  For what you have planned with the stock I would do that and simply enjoy it for a while.  Will be a one of a kind. Sounds like a good plan regardless and retroland is all about finding the correct parts.  Be happy all you need is a barrel assembly.  Might also want to get some beater furniture for actual use and stash those nice early original pieces.  Just my two pennies.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 4:07:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Serial number 21XX, IIRC, would put the rifle in '64 wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Oldman ^^^^ is correct.1965 model serial numbers start at about 2,500.
Great start you have there OP.Very nice. Take boywonder up on his "info" offer,,he's a wealth of info.(shhhh,don't tell no-one this,just tween you and I,,,,but he just may have some parts available for sale) I have an unfired,never messed with, in the box, born on Nov 16,1964 SP1 sn 1,18X. I'll be happy to answer Qs as well. I'm sure Olgunner will chime in too,,he recently rescued a 1965 that was ahhhh,,,dsimembered,,and was able to re-unite all it's original parts from the former owner and returned her to her glory..
Plenty of other very well educated members here too,and a great group who don't play "can you top this" more like a cheering squad who will help to the enth degree.
Welcome to the madness!!!
ETA,,BTW,,an interesting observation...You have a 1st pattern (601) bolt stop on your receiver. Mine does not.Mine has the later type...You also have a horizontal lined mag release button (also 601) Hummmm interesting. Do you have any history on this rifle??? Was the seller a member here by chance??? Can you take a clear close up pic of that mag release button? Would like to try to determine if it's an original or a Heatnbeat replica.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Great start you have there OP.Very nice. Take boywonder up on his "info" offer,,he's a wealth of info.(shhhh,don't tell no-one this,just tween you and I,,,,but he just may have some parts available for sale) I have an unfired,never messed with, in the box, born on Nov 16,1964 SP1 sn 1,18X. I'll be happy to answer Qs as well. I'm sure Olgunner will chime in too,,he recently rescued a 1964 that was ahhhh,,,dsimembered,,and was able to re-unite all it's original parts from the former owner and returned her to her glory..
Plenty of other very well educated members here too,and a great group who don't play "can you top this" more like a cheering squad who will help to the enth degree.
ETA,,BTW,,an interesting observation...You have a 1st pattern (601) bolt stop on your receiver. Mine does not.Mine has the later type...You also have a horizontal lined mag release button (also 601) Hummmm interesting. Do you have any history on this rifle??? Was the seller a member here by chance??? Can you take a clear close up pic of that mag release button? Would like to try to determine if it's an original or a Heatnbeat replica.

(Correction on my year!)
Here's the post with pics from the '64 SP1 I rescued.  With an SN of 18xx, it's not too far off yours, OP, so they probably came with (mostly, at least) the same parts.

like M1Sniper says, you'll get lots of advice and help here.  I look forward to seeing the finished build!
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#18]
By the way, this post has pics of the BCG from my '64.  I'm not sure when the transitional groups (mix of park and chrome) were produced, but they were at least around the time of yours.
Note also that mine has a flat-head (not fat-head) firing pin.  I think the fat head is a bit early for your build.

Nice thing is some of the retro pieces you've collected for it (mag catch, firing pin, bolt stop) are actually too early rather than too late.  It'll be much easier turning an earlier part into a slightly newer part than the other way around!
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great start you have there OP.Very nice. Take boywonder up on his "info" offer,,he's a wealth of info.(shhhh,don't tell no-one this,just tween you and I,,,,but he just may have some parts available for sale) I have an unfired,never messed with, in the box, born on Nov 16,1964 SP1 sn 1,18X. I'll be happy to answer Qs as well. I'm sure Olgunner will chime in too,,he recently rescued a 1964 that was ahhhh,,,dsimembered,,and was able to re-unite all it's original parts from the former owner and returned her to her glory..

(Correction on my year!)
Here's the post with pics from the '64 SP1 I rescued.  With an SN of 18xx, it's not too far off yours, OP, so they probably came with (mostly, at least) the same parts.

like M1Sniper says, you'll get lots of advice and help here.  I look forward to seeing the finished build!

Opppssss,,sorry OG,,,fat finger syndrome today while typing...

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you
Cdenmark
I would say it’s about 75% correct. The buffer and tube, firing pin, bolt catch came from machinehead on GB. I paid on the plus side of all the prices listed. Got into a little bidding war with someone and loads of money for all the parts. I know now it was too much but that was the first parts I got. A magnet did stick to the gas tube.
The CMP barrel came with it.
You are right about all the high dollar parts. I will only shoot her ounces a year if that. She will be more of a collector than a shooter. Now that I’m hooked and lose in the Retro land, I will take the spare parts and build one just for shooting.
Yes your right on the stretching part but I don’t like to stretch things much at all. But no matter how many parts I put on it the original rifle is in the past.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#21]
You are probably right, there seems to be more info out  there stating that she is a 1964.
I don’t know how dependable they are but I called Colt and had them run the Serial number and they said 65.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#24]
The bolt catch you show in the above pic is the same type I have in my 64.I'll need to verify if mine has just the circle with number in it,,or if there is a cricle AND  a C then number inside the C.
I'm still trying to nail down FACTS regarding the horizontal lined mag buttons. I think so far,the originals or at least ones I've seen on original 601s appear to have 17 ribs,,your appears to have 16. IIRC Heatnbeat mentioned to me once he makes his with 16. <THIS IS NOT BIBLE Guys,,,just preliminary observations.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#25]

where'd you get the mag button and was it sold as original?

reason i ask is that i think it may be a repro and not one of heatnbeats.  heatnbeats look really good and in your pic, i think i can still see the original circles that were ground down so the horizontal  ridges could be put in but they didn't it grind it down flat enough to get rid of the circle impression.

can you put it next to a normal mag button and see if it's shorter.  jerrell, your modded buttons will always be a little shorter since you had to removed the circular ridges right?
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#26]
sorry.double tap
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

where'd you get the mag button and was it sold as original?

reason i ask is that i think it may be a repro and not one of heatnbeats.  heatnbeats look really good and in your pic, i think i can still see the original circles that were ground down so the horizontal  ridges could be put in but they didn't it grind it down flat enough to get rid of the circle impression.

can you put it next to a normal mag button and see if it's shorter.  jerrell, your modded buttons will always be a little shorter since you had to removed the circular ridges right?

Good eyes LL.I was counting ribs,didn't notice what appears to be circular shapes.

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Holly crap

You guys are good.
I know this pic will tell the story
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s557/Trailrider843/Screenshot_2012-10-20-16-30-55_zps839ac443.png
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Holly crap

You guys are good.
I know this pic will tell the story
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s557/Trailrider843/Screenshot_2012-10-20-16-30-55_zps839ac443.png

ok not sure if that's one of jerrel's but it's definitely not an original.  original parts from that era were not marked.  hope you didn't original pricing for those.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#30]
it is jerrel's.

I seen that he had them for sale and I couldn't help it. I didn't know if I would ever find the real ones.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
it is jerrel's.

I seen that he had them for sale and I couldn't help it. I didn't know if I would ever find the real ones.

cool.  yeah the real deal for a mag button has proven pretty elusive.  even for the old timers that have spent years trying to find one.  even the guys that buy the real deal many times will only get the many circles version.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#33]
do you have a pic of the ammo?
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
it is jerrel's.

cool.  yeah the real deal for a mag button has proven pretty elusive.  even for the old timers that have spent years trying to find one.  even the guys that buy the real deal many times will only get the many circles version.

I did find a older FSB in a box.
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s557/Trailrider843/20121020_165513_zpsbe4c013e.jpg
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s557/Trailrider843/20121020_165329_zps6ba521a1.jpg
The sling part is new
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#37]
OP I bid on some of the machinehead stuff along with a few others here but it's safe to say I pulled the plug long before the prices escalated to actual selling price.  I did end up with the chrome MP bolt and for condition,  as it arrived,  I'd say that wasn't the best of deals.  Live and learn,  I asumed the condition would be excellent but it wasn't listed as such.  My other three don't have the first ding in them and I thought hard chrome would be hard to ding!  Evidently not!   That looked like a blind moron had tried to remove the pins with a hammer and chisel or it raced the Baja 1000 in a scrap box of steel plates.  

Hey I wanted a beater chrome spare bolt and got one.  Almost glad I bailed on some of the other pieces,  they just aren't worth that much to me.  Again good luck on your build.  You have some nice parts,  repro or not.  In todays time,  early retro will cost 3X minimum for the smalls compared to NOS later mfg Colt pieces.  There are always exceptions of course and the exception is what I shop for.  Again good luck on build.  Many here have been doing it long enough to identify the good stuff without a magnifier.  I keep a 30X by my PC and 10X in my pocket.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OP I bid on some of the machinehead stuff along with a few others here but it's safe to say I pulled the plug long before the prices escalated to actual selling price.  I did end up with the chrome MP bolt and for condition,  as it arrived,  I'd say that wasn't the best of deals.  Live and learn,  I asumed the condition would be excellent but it wasn't listed as such.  My other three don't have the first ding in them and I thought hard chrome would be hard to ding!  Evidently not!   That looked like a blind moron had tried to remove the pins with a hammer and chisel or it raced the Baja 1000 in a scrap box of steel plates.  

Hey I wanted a beater chrome spare bolt and got one.  Almost glad I bailed on some of the other pieces,  they just aren't worth that much to me.  Again good luck on your build.  You have some nice parts,  repro or not.  In todays time,  early retro will cost 3X minimum for the smalls compared to NOS later mfg Colt pieces.  There are always exceptions of course and the exception is what I shop for.  Again good luck on build.  Many here have been doing it long enough to identify the good stuff without a magnifier.  I keep a 30X by my PC.

I have started using a Swiss army app on my cell phone. It works great but I don’t always know what to look for. The more I look and read on here from lots of posts I’m getting better.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=43691

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=43692

From the looks of it, now it looks like it is headstamped RA 66, it sure did look like a 65 to my eyes

That’s ok
They do look cool. But I need to save money up for parts.
Thank you for taking the time to post the photos and reading my posts.

Link Posted: 10/22/2012 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#40]
The store owner got in a estate sale. He had no info on it.

Colt said it's a 1965 but I don't know if he looked it up or just told me that to get me off the phone.

A lot of books and from what I have read he might be wrong.

I don't know.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
By the way, this post has pics of the BCG from my '64.  I'm not sure when the transitional groups (mix of park and chrome) were produced, but they were at least around the time of yours.
Note also that mine has a flat-head (not fat-head) firing pin.  I think the fat head is a bit early for your build.

Nice thing is some of the retro pieces you've collected for it (mag catch, firing pin, bolt stop) are actually too early rather than too late.  It'll be much easier turning an earlier part into a slightly newer part than the other way around!

So for what I'm seeing I can use a M16 disconnecter and trigger ?
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Only if you modify it to semi-only!
I've modified triggers before too, although I personally believe that unmodified trigger is OK as long as the disconnector and safety aren't full auto.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Personally I'd leave the bolt catch and mag button alone - hell, I'd probably leave the whole thing alone! Note the HGs are no drain hole - hard to find these days. It was me, I'd keep an eye out for the 'correct' barrel if I were you, but the FSB is correct for THAT barrel - just not an earlier one, which would presumably come with the correct FSB. Frankly, I'm not at all sure that you can count out that bolt catch and button- they could be original to the gun. Does it look like the pin has been driven out? I'm guessing the upper was swapped at one point, but Colt used up a lot of 'obsolete' parts in various ways over the years. They even rollmarked A1 lowers as A2's, so it's not inconceivable that the lower came like that, in which ase, it's very interesting indeed. Seriously, I would concentrate on the 'tribute' part of the build and keep an eye out for a more appropriate barrel if it really bugs you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've modified triggers before too, although I personally believe that unmodified trigger is OK as long as the disconnector and safety aren't full auto.

Even if that was installed group from the factory ?
With that group it will only fire semi-auto.
Just asking.

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Personally I'd leave the bolt catch and mag button alone - hell, I'd probably leave the whole thing alone! Note the HGs are no drain hole - hard to find these days. It was me, I'd keep an eye out for the 'correct' barrel if I were you, but the FSB is correct for THAT barrel - just not an earlier one, which would presumably come with the correct FSB. Frankly, I'm not at all sure that you can count out that bolt catch and button- they could be original to the gun. Does it look like the pin has been driven out? I'm guessing the upper was swapped at one point, but Colt used up a lot of 'obsolete' parts in various ways over the years. They even rollmarked A1 lowers as A2's, so it's not inconceivable that the lower came like that, in which ase, it's very interesting indeed. Seriously, I would concentrate on the 'tribute' part of the build and keep an eye out for a more appropriate barrel if it really bugs you.

I changed it out after I took the photo.
I'm thinking about selling it to help pay for a barrel and some uppers.
I have a miss mach pair of HGs I can use.

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if that was installed group from the factory ?
With that group it will only fire semi-auto.
Just asking.

I wouldn't. DOn't think you can be too careful in today's political climate. Sorry I didn't see the other parts were Heatnbeat's - I missed the pic. FWIW I wouldn't feel bad at all about handing down a rifle with his parts in them. He does top notch work. In fact, a number of guns I AM handing down will have some of his parts in them. Bear in mind that if you change the FSB you will have to go through the whole pinning nightmare, and STILL will have a chrome-bore marked barrel. I'd leave it alone and keep an eye out for another barrel. Always good to have a .625 FSB on hand however - I just sold my last one with a barrel project. (new barrel - different problem) I had that thing in a box for 3 years.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#47]
I know someone that I can get a barrel from with the right FSB on it.
I don't mined heatnbend parts on it. But when I can find the right ones, I know me. I have to change them out.
LOL I'm not OCD. but I'm close.
Starting to look for the coins and the dates to put on then.
My daughters birthday is the first of February and I would love to give it to her then.  She is only 16 & lives with her mom so I will store it for her.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Hay Guys
I just got this in the mail today
very cool Book
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s557/Trailrider843/20121023_213542-1_zpsb1108620.jpg
This isn't a reprint ...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top