Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 3/22/2006 7:55:07 PM EST
I'd like to replace my 14.5" M4 barrel (with permanent FH) with an 18" barrel.

What are my options? and what do I need to mount it on my M4 receiver?

Are the gas tubes the same? what of the gas opening? gas block?

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:35:24 PM EST
A 18" barrel with a carbione length gas tube is an immense waste of effort. You want to run a longer mid or even rifle length tube so that you get a smoother, less violent action. The lower port pressure means the bolt unlocks a little less violently, which is good both for control and also relilability.

The rifle length tube will give you the best 'feel'.

You will however need a rifle length HG.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:36:29 AM EST
I really like the Noveske SPR upper. But I don't have the $1K ... I can afford the barrel, so how do I build the rest myself?

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:41:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 5:46:04 PM EST by SimonTan]
What do you want gun to do? If you are going to be shooting surplus like XM193PD and Wolf out your gun, you will never approach the accuracy potential of a premium match grade barrel like the Noveske which will shoot 0.5MOA WITH MATCH AMMO.

If you want to max out your accuracy, you'll need a Free Float handguard. That can run from $150 for the YHM tubes to $350 for a DD or PRI.

With a rifle length gas system, you don't have to run a low-pro block. Do you want a standard FSB or are you after something else like a block mounted flip up or a railed block.

Are you equipped to build an upper? Do you have tools and equipment for the job.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:38:28 PM EST
Several dealers here sell Noveske barrels and build uppers, why not let one of them do it for you?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:54:40 PM EST
If you want an 'SPR' upper, you're not gonna get much back from the grand with a Noveske barrel and brand name rail.

That's why I ask just what you want this upper for.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:10:17 AM EST
CMMG has chrome lined 'SPR' barrels.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:28:18 AM EST
Just buy the Noveske barrel, midlength gas tube, Larue FF tube and low-pro gas block. Build it on your current upper. Cost you less than 1K.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:54:55 AM EST
Thanks all! I'll research the parts mentioned.
Top Top