Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 5/18/2003 4:31:34 PM EDT
I want a 18" complete upper, either stainless or chrome lined for my Eagle arms lower/ace skeleton stock. The only 18" I've seen is the SS RRA Varmint.

I want the aluminum or fiberglass handguards and want to decrease weight a little by getting a fluted barrel. Anyone know if any of the major manufacturers make a fluted 18" complete upper or should I get a smith to flute the barrel?

How much weight is taken off when a barrel is fluted?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:37:20 PM EDT
Not much weight is taken off. Have you considered building the upper yourself. I have yet to do it myself, but I understand it is childsplay. I intend to attempt it in the near future. It should go easy, my only concern is headspacing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:10:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 88balanced: I want a 18" complete upper, either stainless or chrome lined for my Eagle arms lower/ace skeleton stock. The only 18" I've seen is the SS RRA Varmint. I want the aluminum or fiberglass handguards and want to decrease weight a little by getting a fluted barrel. Anyone know if any of the major manufacturers make a fluted 18" complete upper or should I get a smith to flute the barrel? How much weight is taken off when a barrel is fluted?
View Quote
You've found RRA and the only person I know building with an 18" barrel is Wes Grant at MSTN.biz.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:56:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 5subslr5: You've found RRA and the only person I know building with an 18" barrel is Wes Grant at MSTN.biz.
View Quote
Thanks for the info - I know Wes is building 18" SPR uppers, but I want a simple and cost effective upper. I'm sure his uppers are the cats meow, but I just can't afford one at this point and am looking for a basic 18" with non-military handguards.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:58:17 PM EDT
Yah, consider it's about 50fps/inch... [url]http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html[/url]= http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html so you gain 100 fps over the 16" with the 18". It looks like the only cheap game in town for 18" is RRA. I'm spinning the same ideas. It would really look cool, but it's gonna cost. Other idea is to have a 20" chopped and recrowned. Lots of hassle. It's a cool idea, don't give up on it! Pete
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:16:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By stinkeypete: Yah, consider it's about 50fps/inch... [url]http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html[/url]= http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html so you gain 100 fps over the 16" with the 18". It looks like the only cheap game in town for 18" is RRA. I'm spinning the same ideas. It would really look cool, but it's gonna cost. Other idea is to have a 20" chopped and recrowned. Lots of hassle. It's a cool idea, don't give up on it! Pete
View Quote
In 1963 ArmaLite was getting 3150fps from an 18.25" barrel, 1:12 twist and a 55grn bullet with the AR-18/180.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:56:10 PM EDT
Watch out cutting a 20" barrel down to 18". The gas port location is getting way too close to the end of the barrel for proper functioning. You might buy one of those unported 20" barrels advertised somewhere for 55 bucks and cut them back. I bought a couple of them - they look good, chambered with a barrel extension, but missing the frontsight tower and barrel porting. This looks like the cheapest and best way to go.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:10:40 AM EDT
well, kurt offers a package to turn a 20" to a 16" with gas port work and an A2 tacbrake for $125.. I'm sure he could do 18" for you at around the same price.. dunno about stainless, but he can definitely do the chrome lined.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:26:14 AM EDT
I have an 18" RRA Varmint upper, and that thing is HEAVY. I don't know the exact weight, but the package that it came in was about 7 lbs. on the Postal scales. I bought it from ArmyInf, another dealer on this board. Rock River had to build it, so it took a few weeks. CHRIS
Top Top