Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 3:38:43 PM EDT
I want to build another rifle...this time a SPR type rifle.

I know all the real SPR rifles use a 1-7 18.5" barrel...Is there a reason why they dont use a 20"? I know the 18 is slightly handier in the field but I would imagine a 20" being more ballistically superior to 600 yards.....

Or is the balistics negligable between the 2 lengths...? with a 77grBHs ammo.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know the answer, but I know that the Ops Inc. brake and supressor are a part of the equation.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:52:58 AM EDT
[#3]
NO one can tell me the ballistic difference between a 18 and 20" barrel for the BHs 77 gr ammo?

Obviously it may have more velocity...the question is there any major advantage at the 600yard mark...
It of course works since the military is using it with the SPRs but I figure 20 should be to their advantage out in the desert
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#4]
As a general rule, you lose 25fps per inch.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top