Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 6:51:21 AM EDT
Ok, just got a 20" barrel from the EE.

I am wondering if anyone knows.... If I get it cut down to 17.75 (then threaded for FH) will it need any gas port work?

If it does, what is the minimum length for a barrel with a standard rifle gas system to work properly/reliably without any gas port work?

I am waiting for a quote/info from Kurt but was wondering if anyone else knew.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I cut a 20" down to 16.25" and it works flawlessly.  At first I had some issues with the bolt/bolt carrier not coming back far enough so I cut about a coil and a half off the buffer spring.  Looking back now I believed the culprit was a brand new, kind of tight McFarland gas ring.

Edited to add read second post in this thread.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=207190
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#2]
did you cut it yourself, or have someone do it?

If you, how/what tools?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother works at a machine shop and we did it on a lathe.  We stoned the end after is was crowned and then threaded it.  It was a chrome lined Colt barrel.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
No you won't have issues. I am having one done now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No you won't have issues. I am having one done now.

I'll be doing one very soon also, possibly several in the future, depending on how the first one goes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]
If your going to 18 or even 1/4 inch shorter you should be fine.  If you get one cut to 16 or 16.25, then gas port work is highly recommended, but not always necessary.  If you cut one that short (16) without gasport work though, your very likely to have shortstroking issues. YMMV.  Go ask Kirt about this in the industry forum.  And Forest has also had one cut to 16.25, but with gas work.  

the 18 should be fine though.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top