Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 12:53:04 PM EST
So, it has been a while since I've been here as my attention was focused on building my LRB M14 which took most of my time and money away. Now that the project is done, I'd like to have a SPR type rifle utilizing a 16" barrel. I currently have a standard LMT upper with a Knight's RAS on it and the standard carry handle rear sight, my go to gun. I am looking to make a scoped rig and have always been fond of Bushy's Dissy type rifle so I think I want to pattern my rifle after that design. Here's my plan:

1) BCM M4 flat top upper (have already).
2) Daniel Defense 12.0 Lite rail system (need to buy).
3) BCM F/A BCG (need to buy).
4) 16" barrel (my dilemma).
5) 6 Pos Buttstock (already have)
6) Stag lower with standard trigger (already have).
7) Standard FSB (if possible), or LMT's removable FSB.
8) Some sort of rear BUIS.

My current dilemma is the barrel. I know I want a 1/7 twist, 4150 steel barrel with chrome lining but I don't know who's barrel to go with. I'm sure any steel chrome lined barrel will be more accurate than I could ever be so that is why I am partial to it, not to mention I don't care for the looks of stainless along with the more trouble in keeping them clean. I have been looking at Global Tactical 16" Operator barrel which is a full medium weight barrel and is close to what I would call a perfect match of what I'm looking for, unfortunately it's sold out and who knows when he'll get more in...I suppose I should call. The other barrel that I am looking at is Daniel Defense's 16" Recon barrel which looks like a Govt. profile barrel. Not that I will ever be shooting FA, but would I be loosing any accuracy by going with the Daniel Defense barrel? I've tried searching and have not come up with any information pertaining to Daniel Defense's barrel so I don't know what to think of it. If anybody has any pointers or suggestions, please feel free to chime in. Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:07:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 1:20:05 PM EST by glock24]
It is my understanding that a big reason why chrome-lined barrels loose accuracy when compared to a match-grade stainless barrel is due to the chrome-lining process. In a majority of manufacturers, the extra room required for the chrome-lining down the bore is added via an acid-etching process. As a result of this, the bore's surface is left in rough condition, and accuracy suffers.

There are exceptions.

The best example is Grant's barrel from Global Tactical. Rock Creek intentionally rifles the bore over-sized for the chrome-lining, so acid etching is not required.

Another exception is Armalite. They claim their barrels are double-lapped after acid-etching to smooth them out before the chrome is applied.

(from their website)
ArmaLite uses lapped barrels for both match and standard, chromed barrels. The benefit of lapping match barrels has already been addressed. Barrels to be chromed benefit from lapping too. Chrome deposits more evenly on smooth barrels. Since chroming tends to reduce accuracy, it makes sense to start with a lapped, accurate barrel before lapping to assure that the resulting chromed barrel is as accurate as possible.

FN is an exception too, with a proprietary process that allowed even their chrome-lined bolt rifles to shoot sub-MOA. Unfortunately their M16 barrels are far and few between.

I'd consider Armalite as your second choice. They offer their medium-heavy 16" barrel with both a fixed FSB, or a low-profile gas block.

This one or this one

Or you can skip all this crap and get yourself a match-grade stainless barrel. No, they won't last as long, but how fast do you plan to go through 5 to 6 thousand rounds? Check out the stainless barrels that have been bead-blasted to a dull gray finish. They are not as ugly as the bright, shiny ones. If that still bothers you, a spray-coat of GunKote or even high-temperature exhaust manifold paint will do the trick.

I'm partial to stainless for an SPR or RECCE after seeing what WOA and CLE can do;

(5-shots, 100 meters, Harris bipod)

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:20:21 PM EST
Thanks for the well put post Glock24. I like the first Armalite barrel, unfortunately it's a 1/9 twist.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:24:12 PM EST
Yeah, sorry about that. I missed the 1/7" requirement.

I'd say Global Tactical is your best bet if you absolutely can't live with stainless.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:29:30 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:35:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 1:36:32 PM EST by glock24]
I fail to see how hammer-forging would make any difference in accuracy. Can you enlighten me?

IBTNFB (in before the Noveske fan boys)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:38:06 PM EST
Since Stick was here, what's your take on the Daniel Defense Recon barrel compared to the Operator Barrel GTS "once" offered ("once" as in they had it in stock, but not at the current moment).
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:16:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By glock24:

Sorry I'm late. Umm, any reason you aren't considering a Noveske complete upper? It will solve all your problems.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:33:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By fonzy934:
Originally Posted By glock24:

Sorry I'm late. Umm, any reason you aren't considering a Noveske complete upper? It will solve all your problems.

Don't get me wrong, Noveske has some awesome stuff that I really like....just not interested in stainless. That's all.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:50:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 3:55:24 PM EST by glock24]
Noveske makes a chrome-lined barrel called the N4. It's basically a machinegun barrel with 2x the chrome-lining of a normal AR-15 barrel. It is advertised as having tremendous durability, which I don't doubt, but I struggle to understand how it is more accurate than any other plain-jane chromed barrel.

Oh, and you can't buy the barrel . . . you have to buy the whole goddamn upper.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:01:35 PM EST
N4 looks nice, but isn't it near a pencil barrel diameter? I'm sure the double the chrome is durable, but I don't think I need that much redundancy. I agree with you Glock, don't see how it can do anything for accuracy.
Top Top