Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2006 10:51:17 AM EDT
How much more accurate is a 20" is compared to a 16" when it comes to medium to longer distances, say 500 yards... and what would be the maximum effective yardage for each barrel length given they are both standard grade barrels?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Barrel Length has nothing to do with accuracy.
A 16 inch barrel will have less velocity than a 20 inch barrel.
.223 terminal performance depends exclusivly on velocity, the bullet must be going fast in order to fragment.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#2]
The is no inherent difference in the accuracy between the BARRELS themselves - although you might be able to shoot more precisely with a 20" with iron sights because the sight radius is longer.  With a scope, there's no real difference between them.

Velocity obvi0ously differs between them (with the 20 obviously being faster), giving you slightly more effective range - and longer fragmentation range.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I took me 5 minutes to try and phrase the question right and I was still off

So the 20" has more velocity and would be more effective at longer ranges.. can we translate that into yardage?

I'm asking because I'm still on the fence about my new upper. I have an RRA lower with 2 stage trigger and Magpul PRS waitng to be "mated" I'd like it to have the maximum range given it's a .223, what barrel lenght would you guys reccomend and back to my first question. Is there realy a big yardage gap between a 16" vs 20"?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

So the 20" has more velocity and would be more effective at longer ranges.. can we translate that into yardage?

I'm asking because I'm still on the fence about my new upper. I have an RRA lower with 2 stage trigger and Magpul PRS waitng to be "mated" I'd like it to have the maximum range given it's a .223, what barrel lenght would you guys reccomend and back to my first question. Is there realy a big yardage gap between a 16" vs 20"?

This is the maximum range for fragmentation of a .223 round:

ETA:
Seems like the 20 inch gives you 25 more yards of fragmentation.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you are talking about fragmentation, the difference is something like 25 yards of extra fragmentaiton out of the 20" barrel - and all of that is happening inside of 200 yards.

If you are talking about "long range" then there really isn't much difference.  As the chart shows you, at 500 yards or more, there's not really that drastic a difference in velocity or bullet drop.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Not just fragmentation, but just yardage out to accurately and consistently hit a target.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Not just fragmentation, but just yardage out to accurately and consistently hit a target.

The difference there is 5" of drop (on top of about 3')

The other thing that may make a difference is the length of the gas system/recoil/heavy match barrels, etc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The difference there is 5" of drop (on top of about 3')

The other thing that may make a difference is the length of the gas system/recoil/heavy match barrels, etc.

I think I've settled on a 16" Middy
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe the average person would be hard pressed to find a significant difference in overall terminal performance and accuracy between a 16 and 20 incher.  The difference is certainly there, but for day in day out use I don't think you would miss anything.

I'm a big fan of the 16in midlength setups as they are overall easier to maneuver than a 20in but give you a little more hanguard real estate than a carbine.

Just another opinion.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think I've settled on a 16" Middy

That is an awesome choice, and by far the most versatile of my ARs
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I believe the average person would be hard pressed to find a significant difference in overall terminal performance and accuracy between a 16 and 20 incher.  The difference is certainly there, but for day in day out use I don't think you would miss anything.

I'm a big fan of the 16in midlength setups as they are overall easier to maneuver than a 20in but give you a little more hanguard real estate than a carbine.

Just another opinion.  

I think I've settled on the 16" middy with a rifle length rail. I already have a 16" RRA M4gery, I was looking for something with a little more range before I start to look at an AR10.  Thanks ofr all of the info guys.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Question about fragmentation energy - -why does anyone care about that?

Can't you just use a hollow point bullet of some sort which expands? The full metal jacket is
not really needed is it?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Question about fragmentation energy - -why does anyone care about that?

Can't you just use a hollow point bullet of some sort which expands? The full metal jacket is
not really needed is it?

Read the ammo oracle for great info on this.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm looking at building a stainless fluted bull barrel upper. Due to the weight&&length, am considering a 16" barrel. However, I'm concerned that the shorter barrel would not give the trajectory that is built into the Leatherwood M-600 scope that I'm lusting to put on it.

Am I setting myself up for disappointment with a mismatch of 16" barrel and the auto-calibrating types of scopes? Or is the practical difference negligible under 600 meters?

TIA,

wganz
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm looking at building a stainless fluted bull barrel upper. Due to the weight&&length, am considering a 16" barrel. However, I'm concerned that the shorter barrel would not give the trajectory that is built into the Leatherwood M-600 scope that I'm lusting to put on it.

Am I setting myself up for disappointment with a mismatch of 16" barrel and the auto-calibrating types of scopes? Or is the practical difference negligible under 600 meters?

TIA,

wganz

*/

You don't need a bull barrel. Just get a regular 20".

Or better yet if you are looking at 500-600 yards...get a .308. I wouldn't use the .223 past 200-300 yards.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top