Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2005 4:53:06 AM EDT
I was using my M4 type AR for IPSC 3-gun, but I've decided I need something different. I decided on a Oly SUM regular weight barrel 16" upper .... but I've found one with a bull barrel for much less than a new one. Anyone used a 16" bull barrel upper for 3-gun? It seems the rifle would be a bit heavy for quick manuvering in the close range stages. opinions?
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:23:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:33:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A 16" bull barrel is going to be heavier, no doubt. It will work though, but if you are buying a new upper specifically for 3-Gun, look at what the better shooters are using (not necessarily the top guys, they have sponsors to please and could beat most of us with a 24" varmint gun).  The choices are typically 16-20" in lighter contours. If you plan to shoot nationally (specifically out west where the ranges are bigger), you will see more 18-20" guns. Matches tend to have more short range targets in the eastern US, so 16" guns are more popular.

We build custom competition uppers in 16, 17, 18 and 20" (Also a 14.75" for guys that have a special upper for hoser-only matches).  The shooters we supply that are consistently in the top 10 are all shooting 17" uppers as their primary choice. Long enough to have decent velocity out to 400 yards and short enough for tight courses.

I tried to IM you ... would not accept.

I saw the 18" uppers on your website but didnt see any pricing...

What type of barrel blanks are used to build those?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top