Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 6:29:59 PM EDT
Thinking of rebarreling my old 20" H-bar barrel, maybe using a les baer type M4 16" bull barrel upper.

How accurate would a 16" 1/8 twist match bull barrelled AR15 be at 500 meters, using 75gr-77gr compared to a 20" H-Bar barrel? Is the 16" barrel stiffer than a 20"?

MickeyJr.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
A 16" bbl is stiffer than a 20" bbl only if they are the same diameter.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
You could try the 16" RECCE type heavy match barrel with the mid-length gas system. It's performance is 1 MOA or better.

Take a look at ADCO's website and click on Custom Building tab.

You could also contact them by e-mail on their website if you would like something else.

www.adcofirearms.com/

I also got rid of my standard grade HBAR and I'm currently building my 16" RECCE upper half.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 20" H-Bar RRAand a 16" Bull Oly Arms that I use for hunting coyotes and general critter control. I genearally grab the 20" because if I don't have the opportunity to put ear plugs in the 16" is incredibly loud and will blind you at night. The 16" handles, carries and balances a lot better than the 20".

If it's going to sit in a safe and get shot off of a bench, get what ever floats your boat. If you are going to hunt with it, I'd get another 20" or compromise. For what it's worth, I can get 1moa with both. The 16" Oly will consitantly shoot  0.5 moa in the hands others.

ADCO is awsome. I use them for everything now. You get what you want and you get it quicker than you would think possible.

JJROBO
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
A shorter, stiffer barrel is usually more accurate.  However, at 500 yards, the loss in velocity maybe telling, especially with heavier bullets.

SRM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top