Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:03:17 PM EDT
I am looking at starting my first build from a kit.  What's your opinion on a 16" CAR vs. a 16" Mid-Length CAR?

I am going to get a kit and I notice the mid-lenths aren't as as plentiful, as kits anyway.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
It's said that a mid-length gas system doesn't send as much of a gas pulse back to the bolt carrier. Thus it is supposed to be less wear on the bolt buffer, spring, and butt stock tube.  A mid length may offer better accuracy with iron sights as the front site is a bit further down the barrel.  

I have a CAR and to tell you the truth I can't tell the difference in recoil or parts wear.  As for accuracy I can still get nice groups with iron sites at 200yds with the CAR setup.  I say get the CAR gas system as it's just as reliable as the Mid-length IMHO.  If wear or recoil is a consideration, you can always put a 9mm weighted buffer in your CAR stock in place of the standard CAR recoil buffer (that is if you're running a CAR/M4 stock and not a Rifle length stock/buffer).

The extra money you would spend on a mid-length bbl would be better spent on a free float tube for a CAR barrel.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

As far as the "wear"- how many rounds are we talking before this would be a factor?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
i'm a midlenght fan now...it just looks better than the 16in carbine
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Midlenght here.  I think the short car stock just looks goofy on a 16" rifle.   I also like the larger sight radius.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both 16" CAR and a 16" mid-length CAR and I prefer my mid-length.

I like the more rail real estate of the mid-length which have more room for my tactical light and hand if I decide to grab the handguard.

The mid-length is also more reliable in cold weather conditions.

If you're building from a kit, you might want to go for the CAR for now and do the mid-length later on.

Good luck on your build.

I have the Operator Mid-Length barrel - thread link
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:04:37 AM EDT
[#6]
The mid-length looks more balanced.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 Midlength
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Midlength positives:  Looks better, longer sight radius

CAR positives:  cheaper

Midlength negatives:  Expensive

Car negatives:  ?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Get BOTH...

Now that its out of the way...

Midlength here.

After researching and comparing prices for months I found that the cost difference between the two is rather small given similar quality.

RRA midlength upper (chrome lined) $429-$449
M4 Stock $59-$62
Lower parts kit $49-$59

Total midlength "kit" cost $537-$570

Del-ton M4 Kit with chrome lining, M4 stock and lower parts kit $530

Del-ton Carbine Kit with chrome lining, M4 and lower parts kit $520

Not much of a difference for what (at least to me) feels like a smoother cycling system (midlength).
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
As far as the "wear"- how many rounds are we talking before this would be a factor?

I'm not sure as I've never heard of anyone wearing out a bolt carrier tube or a bolt buffer on a CAR. My guess would be 8,000 to 10,000 rounds or more.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#11]
If I were to get a CAR I would get a 14.5" barrel. If I wanted a 16" barrel I would get a mid-length. I just got a mid-length Sabre two days ago. Longer sight radius, longer gas system, more room to pile junk on the forend. I can't think of a good reason to not get a mid-length if you want a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I can't think of a good reason to not get a mid-length if you want a 16" barrel.

One reason would be weight. If you get a 16" Superlight weight CAR barrel your not luging around the extra weight of a HBAR, which most affordable Mid-length's BBL's are.  

Second why cut your feet-per-second with a 14.5" CAR BBL? Unless you pay the $200 Tax stamp the 14.5" BBL needs a perm flash hidder attached to bring it out to the legal 16". At least with a 16" CAR BBL you can change the flash hidder to any sytle you want any time you want + gain a few ft-per-sec.

I really think the Mid-length's and 14.5" CAR BBL's are really form/looks over function.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#13]
What is the midlength gas port size? CAR is smaller than rifle to reduce gas in the system. If midlength is in between, I don't see why CAR would be less reliable than midlength. While our soliders use short barrel CARs in the battle field, we sure can live with 16" CAR in the range.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Middy

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top