Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 10:12:31 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I am building my first AR, putting together the lower and purchasing a complete uppper. Its going to be a basic 16" car flat top w/6pos stock.

I have a RRA stripped lower, just picked it up today.

I am planning on taking some tactical rifle classes with the rifle when I am done. I am having a hard time deciding, should I go with an RRA 16" midlength which comes with a HBAR or I could purchase a 16" M4 upper on a RRA upper receiver from eagle firearms. Most likely I will be using some type of BUIS for awhile because it is going to take me some time to afford an eotech.

What would be more beneficial. Longer iron sight radius/heavier rifle  VS. shorter sight radius/lighter rifle????

Would you go with a 2 stage trigger or the stock trigger?

any one want to voice an opinion based on experience etc.... I have zero experience so I am not really sure what to do.

Thank You!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Really, that's a tough choice.  You will most likely end up owning both setups one day, so just pick one.    I think a midlength with match trigger would be a nice setup, and then someday do the M4 with a stock trigger.    
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully in time I will be able to build up 2 or 3 rifles but right now I don't have the finances.

Does anyone know how much more an RRA 16" HBAR weighs compared to a cut down 16" M4 type barrel?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hopefully in time I will be able to build up 2 or 3 rifles but right now I don't have the finances.

Does anyone know how much more an RRA 16" HBAR weighs compared to a cut down 16" M4 type barrel?

I believe it's around a half pound.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I just had this made to order (RRA Elite CAR A4, quad rail, removable handle, two stag trigger) without the sight and extras right out $1000 out the door.   I'm sure you could probally do better.

Before the extras

After the extras

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally I would go RRA midlength, but I'm biased as my RRA midlength just showed up this week.  Weight and ballance feel really good to me.  

Midlenght give you better sight radius when using irion, slower cycling (good thing) and more room to hang crap if you ever get a railed forend.  Plus the bayonet fits right, even if the only real point of having the sticky-poke on the end is to piss off the gun haters.

If you really care about the not-quite half pound of weight then order an RRA midlength through ADCO (Industry partner) and have Steve turn down the barrel profile under the handguards.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top