Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 8:26:12 PM EDT
Does the Noveske weigh less than the HBAR barrel?

The HBAR is heavy. However my logic is that I have a 13.2 LT coming and deiter VFG and surefire light.

Plus since it is darker than shit here in Alaska I am seriously looking at NV and hanging an IR lightintesifier, IOAL? maybe even an OAL.

So far, this is the short list of barrels that I am considering

16" Noveske
16" Recon by Denny
16" ABS

So no, the HBAR in and of itself is not bad. It's all the other crap hanging off the end that gets ya

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The Noveske is slighly lighter then the Colt HBAR, but not by much
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#2]
hmmm.... For my needs/want, that may sway me away from the Noveske.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Noveske will cut a custom profile for you. Best thing to do is call John up directly and explain your needs and wants. His barrels are super nice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]
His barrels are super nice.  The more I am thinking this through maybe I should spend the extra $125.00 to 150.00 for the ABS?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Do the ABS if you want a light barrel that shoots like a heavy one.

Check out the EO-tech/ samson/aimpoint 3x  and Eotech/PVS14/3x mag La-Rue, or GG&G mount combination.  

I'm convinced that is the best idea for day-night use.  My PVS14 has better resolution than a PVS18 weapon sight with a 3x magnifier attached.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I strongly urge you to contact Mr. Noveske and tell him what you want.  I pretty much guarantee he will do what he can to accomodate you.  I talked to him the other day, and ordered my upper on the same call.  A great guy to talk to.  Especially considering how dumb I am and how smart he is.  He answered my questions without making me feel stupid.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You have an ABS barrel and this is your experience with it? One problem I've had with my ABS barrel is that even if it is as rigid as an HBAR, it weighs a lot less and that affects how the gun recoils. You have to be a lot more attentive to position to get the same results.

Of course, if you add the weight back in the form of additional equipment, that might be less of an issue.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have an ABS barrel and this is your experience with it? One problem I've had with my ABS barrel is that even if it is as rigid as an HBAR, it weighs a lot less and that affects how the gun recoils. You have to be a lot more attentive to position to get the same results.

Of course, if you add the weight back in the form of additional equipment, that might be less of an issue.

Hijack alert

Other than it being too light have you had any other issues?  You should write a review.  I want one real bad.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Vegas,

You didn't state if you have a HBAR barrel in your post or not, but I'll throw out another option.  

If you have a HBAR barrel on hand....here are a few things to consider.  If the HBAR is a good shooter, you can send it to Steve at ADCO or any other good gunsmith and have him re-profile the barrel to your specs.  If HBAR is too heavy and Gov't profile is too light Steve can profile the barrel to YOUR specs.

The cost of reprofiling a barrel is in the $50 to $75 range.  If the barrel is not the length you want it, the barrel can be cut down as well.  Steve has re-profiled 4 barrels for me and cut one down.  He does awesome work, at a fraction of what a new barrel would cost you.

My recommendation is only upgrade your equipment when it is hindering you, if you can't shoot to the barrel's capability why spend $300 to $500 on a new barrel?  If you are more accurate than the HBAR barrel, then I would say it's time to invest in a Noveske / ABS / Global Tactical barrel.  Just my .02, your milage may vary.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I was looking on the Maryland AR15 site and it lists the 14.5" govt profile M4 and ABS 16" barrel as the same weight.  I keep thinking that has to be wrong.  Thats only a 3oz savings on a 16" M4 barrrel or 1oz lighter than a govt profile 16" midlength.  Then again its still less than 2oz from a lightweight so perhaps that is right but I could have sworn the 1.9 lb ABS figure was with a gas block on it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll post a pic tomorrow of what I did to fix that.  I added a little bit of "additional equipment"
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay, these pics suck but they'll give you a general idea.

This isn't the final configuration, but it's not too far from it.

M97LT-XM and the Scout make it balance a little better, especially with the Short Dot in an SPR-E. Barrel is a 16" ABS 5R rifled barrel with a Wylde chamber and the gasblock area set up for a LaRue GB.

I haven't fired this one yet, but if it shoots as good as it feels I'll be more than satisfied.

Back to the topic at hand, what is the intended use for the rifle? The mission drives the gear. If you can give us a general idea of its mission, it'll be easier for us to help you out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Other than it being too light have you had any other issues?  You should write a review.  I want one real bad.

Well, as soon as I feel comfortable that I've actually given the barrel a fair test I'll post a review; but that is probably still several months off as little as I have been able to shoot lately.

Nice blaster Cap'n. You'll have to give us the range report when you get a chance to shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I would buy what ever you want; in the end this is your barrel and nobody else’s. If you want a custom barrel, go buy it. It’s your money and it’s not going to be wasted buying a custom barrel from any of the manufacturers you have listed. Personally, I would stick to one of the more conventional and time-tested designs like the Noveske or Denny's Recon. I do not see the point of spending big bucks on what amounts to an experimental barrel in the effort to save a few ounces, only to load it right back up with accessories. Stick with what has worked for years
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Excellent comments.

My colt was purchased as a 16" HBAR in 1999.

It is an excellent shooter and more capable than I.

However, after speaking with experienced shooters in Alaska a mid-length gas system would be adventageous in our cold climate. I definately could feel the action cycling harder than the mid-length at + 20 below.

Once completed my rig will mimic CaptCrunc's, so with the other items hanging off the rail I thought a lighter barrel would be nice.

VADinger, a very good point I too realize that the ABS is still experimental.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#16]
This is my 3-gun/home def rig and if all goes well with tax rebate a NV rig. We have a tremendous amount of darkness to take advantage of  in AK.

Almost forgot I will purchase a gemtech, that is another reason for saving weight.

So, this is my uber-tactical, get all the fun toys on it rifle. Not all items will reside on the rifle at one time. I dont pretend to be anything that I am not, I just want to enjoy the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm trying to replace my PEQ with something else as we speak, then it'll have IR capability... If I had used the 13.2, I could have ran the PEQ with the S&B, no problem, but I would not have had the ability to run the suppressor that I decided on.

I went with the ABS solely to evaluate its viability for usage with some of our builds. I'll post an abbreviated review here sometime in the near future. Bart, expect an IM before the month's end.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:05:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:21:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
           My recommendation is only upgrade your equipment when it is hindering you, if you can't shoot to the barrel's capability why spend $300 to $500 on a new barrel?  If you are more accurate than the HBAR barrel, then I would say it's time to invest in a Noveske / ABS / Global Tactical barrel.  Just my .02, your milage may vary.

I wholehartedly agree. However from my previous post I disliked the weight and I am changing the barrel from carbine to mid length.

The Alaskan winters are harsh and a mid length is a better choice for temp and easier on the rifle.
So if I am going to change the barrel for a different gas system why not look at the premier barrel companies?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:30:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#21]
The Noveske website says most of their barrels will be available in lightweight profiles soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top